News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 345     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 740     1 

Toronto/Chicago comparisons

Hi,

So now that we have a dedicated thread comparing Chicago to Toronto (in a sane way), I would like to bring something up for discussion (which I really hope if OK with the moderators):

I'm a non-white and non-straight male that just recently moved to Toronto (from Calgary) and I like many things about Toronto but a few things that I am not a fan of are quite big (and are negatively impacting my life) and hence my comparison to Chicago (an American city that I feel is fairly close to Toronto overall).

I understand Toronto's current situation (in all contexts) but still I can't fully accept Toronto's infrastructure (poor roads, sidewalks and transit), the fact that things take so long to get done here (i.e. Bloor Street makeover, St. Clair ROW, John Street makeover, the waterfront, etc.), the overwhelming indifference people exhibit in Toronto (you can see that in how people interact/engage in public such as eye contact, smiling, etc.), the fact that very few people get back to you when you contact them here (in my example, it has been a recruiter, my professional membership association, people in the medical community, my accountant, local companies I've purchased things from, and of course the gay community in general even if they were the ones who initiated contact with me first), and because I'm still a relatively young person who feels there is a need to be in a gay-friendly area (i.e. the village) for evenings out for fun, the dearth of nice places to go (especially clubs) is disappointing (and we can all agree Toronto's gay village is for the most part, small, unattractive, and has way too high of a turnover with the businesses on that strip).

My experiences in US cities (and I've been to all of the major ones) are almost always more positive, in that I get more attention from people and they're far more talkative and social and even after I leave that particular city, many of them keep in touch with me (or at least get back to me if I contact them). I used to work in the oil and gas industry in Calgary and was in frequent contact with people across Canada and Houston (in the US). Well, as the tone of this note suggests, I found Americans got back to me far more often than their Canadian counterparts (whether it be replying back to my emails or voicemails). Now I understand all the disadvantages of America too like their crime rate, deeper racial and income divides, their weaker economy, the more 'suburban', socially-conservative (i.e. religious) mindset, etc. but despite these factors, I wonder if I would be happier in the US (and of course my first choice is Chicago as it’s a city that is more similar to Toronto than any other).

The fact that Chicago has a blue collar history and is in the Midwest is a positive for me because that implies (generally) the citizens of Chicago would be friendlier, more humble and socially more ‘small-towny’ than Toronto (which may be a good thing for me given my aforementioned issues).

I know that one may think (after reading my post) that well, perhaps something is wrong with me because of the people-related issues I brought up, but it is not the case as many other people I’ve talked to from different backgrounds agree that indifference is a major problem in Toronto.

I sometimes wonder if the reserved mindset of Canadians (i.e. Canadians are not as extroverted as Americans) is a reason behind my dissatisfaction (especially since Canada’s immigration patterns are such that most people tend to mix only with their own race here and I don’t like that – I like getting to know people from all over the world). In the US, more people associate themselves with being Americans first (despite the racial divide) and I wonder if that makes a difference in who talks to me (i.e. an American may look at me as an American first instead of someone who originates from country X, whereas in Canada, I’ll be judged first on my ethnicity). Additionally, the image of my country of origin is better in the US than in Canada.

I apologize for writing such a long note but I’m truly wondering if others on this forum who can associate with being a minority in two ways (ethnicity and sexual orientation) have had similar experiences?

It’s too bad I’m going through all this because I have a really nice condo in Toronto that just became occupiable (Lumiere) and after a few months of living here I’m doubting whether I can be happy in Toronto (in terms of connecting with people).

Toronto may be more liberal than Calgary but when it comes to meeting people, it’s equally difficult (in my case).

Thanks for reading…..

Taal, I don't think you need to worry about downtown. Trust me, as someone who lives and has a business here I would be surprised if anyone could point to a decade in the last 50 years where the pace of investment and change in the entire central Toronto area has been as strong. Property value changes over the last 10 years would tend to reflect my opinion.

Beyond a certain point a centralized city becomes problematic. I expressed my opinion elsewhere that, unlike the majority it seems of forumers, I do not see population growth as an end or positive in itself. I do not want to see areas of this city region struggling or not developing in tandom to elsewhere. That means that jobs and housing options need to be developed everywhere. Considering that the majority of the regions population is now outside the city of Toronto proper that means the majority of employment and housing development should also be taking place there. In essence, I believe in improved standard of living above growth. Growth without improvement in standard of living is hollow and self-defeating.

CITY_LOVER,

Perhaps you should consider moving elsewhere if you are feeling unhappy. I do accept some generalizations about regional character including the anti-social remarks about Torontonians. Here are some thoughts to consider: The average character of people in a region cannot help or hinder you, particularly with respect to more intimate connections. The human brain can only really have a connection with less than 200 people at any given time. That means what matters is not the general population but the 200 people (including your family) that you can possibly know. What I learned over time is that you cannot change people, it will only make you unhappy to try to change people. You can only change the 200 people that are in your life. If you believe that it is Toronto that is hindering you from surrounding you with the 200 people in your life than you should move. It's how you feel and how you feel matters more than logical or rational arguments. That said, as I mentioned in a previous thread, this is really about you not about externalities like where you live. It is you, not the city you live in, that is preventing you from surrounding yourself with people that make you happy regardless of if you believe that it is harder here or not.

To tie this back into the Chicago thread, I believe there is some kind of inverse relationshiip between friendliness and tolerance. I believe that, initially at least, cultures that are the most friendly are also the least tolerant of others, and conversely that the most tolerant societies are also the least friendly. This is not a hard and fast rule but my suspicion is that there is some kind of interaction between these two behaviours

Last edited:
Read it and weep. Where can you buy a house in Toronto for these prices?

Chalk one up for Chicago.

South Chicago Homes for Sale: MLS Listings on ColdwellBankerOnline.com

Active Listing_ Lowest Price_ Average Price_ Highest Price
Single Family_ 93_ $1_ $99,513_ $350,000_
Multi-Family_ 88_ $8,500_ $98,595_ $395,000_
Condo / Townhouse_ 14_ $9,900_ $134,919_ $279,900_
Co-op_ 5_ $50,000_ $92,480_ $149,500_

For Sale
Recently Sold
Expand Map Search within map

Map data ©2011 Google - Terms of Use

+

MapSatelliteHybrid
Sort by Featured

$50,000 8360 S Baker Ave, Chicago IL FEATURED
9 photos
REDUCED by $5,000 (9.1%) on Jun 4, 2011
5 br / 2 full, 1 partial ba
Multi-Family Home
South Chicago (60617)
Coldwell Banker Residential…

$60,000 8051 S Euclid Ave, Chicago IL FEATURED
3 photos
3 br / 1 full, 1 partial ba
Single-Family Home
South Chicago (60617)

$41,000 8523 S Burnham Ave, Chicago IL FEATURED
REDUCED by $4,500 (9.9%) on Jun 18, 2011
6 br / 3 ba
Multi-Family Home
South Chicago (60617)

$31,900 8542 S Mackinaw Ave, Chicago IL FEATURED
10 photos
REDUCED by $8,500 (21%) on Jun 8, 2011
4 br / 1 full, 1 partial ba
Single-Family Home
South Chicago (60617)

$65,300 8945 S Houston Ave, Chicago IL FEATURED
5 ba / 2,472 sqft / $26/sqft
Single-Family Home
South Chicago (60617)
Client Care

$26,000 7949 S South Shore Dr, Chicago IL FEATURED
2 photos
3 br / 2 ba / 2,105 sqft / $12/sqft
Single-Family Home
South Chicago (60617)
Client Care
ComparePreview Follow home Map View details »

$37,872 9126 S Buffalo Ave #2D, Chicago IL FEATURED
8 photos
2 br / 1 ba / 560 sqft / $68/sqft
Condo
South Chicago (60617)

Last edited:
Read it and weep. Where can you buy a house in Toronto for these prices?

Chalk one up for Chicago.
The prices are so low because no one wants to live there. When it get's worse, you get things like Detroit and Buffalo with streets of now-vacant lots.

The prices are so low because no one wants to live there. When it get's worse, you get things like Detroit and Buffalo with streets of now-vacant lots.

But on the other hand, if you're making under 50,000 dollars a year in Chicago, you can still afford to buy a house. I saw a 9 bedroom house going for just under 100,000 dollars. lol Sure, you may have to build a wall around your property to keep you safe but at least you've got a home.

A look on MLS shows
- several 2-3 bedroom condos on Finch south of the 401 for less than 100,000$.
- a 3 bedroom townhouse for 63,900$ on 242 JOHN GARLAND BLVD
- a 3 bedroom townhouse for 80,000$, another one for 99,000$ and another one for 109,000$ on 10 EDDYSTONE AVE
- a 2 bedroom townhouse for 111,000$, and another 2 for 118,000$ 100 MORNELLE CRT
- a 2 bedroom home for 150,000$ on 16 PINEHILL CRES

So you can live in Toronto's slums without breaking the bank.

A look on MLS shows
- several 2-3 bedroom condos on Finch south of the 401 for less than 100,000$.
- a 3 bedroom townhouse for 63,900$ on 242 JOHN GARLAND BLVD
- a 3 bedroom townhouse for 80,000$, another one for 99,000$ and another one for 109,000$ on 10 EDDYSTONE AVE
- a 2 bedroom townhouse for 111,000$, and another 2 for 118,000$ 100 MORNELLE CRT
- a 2 bedroom home for 150,000$ on 16 PINEHILL CRES

So you can live in Toronto's slums without breaking the bank.

Hey, I just checked those out on Google and that area doesn't look too bad. I didn't realize you can get houses that cheap in Toronto but you can't get a 9 bedroom house for under 100K. Imagine what you could do with 9 bedrooms. Hell, I'd open a nice stud ranch, once Toronto legalizes it. ;-P

Someone - I think it was unimaginative - said it best: downtown Chicago is vastly superior to downtown Toronto, but Toronto's inner neighbourhoods are vastly superior to Chicago's.

When you think about it, downtown Toronto is actually quite unimpressive. Not only is the architecture and public realm inferior to Chicago's, but downtown Toronto is incredibly fragmented, with much of its activity separated by dead zones such as the immense hospital district, pretty much anything behind city hall, and forgettable small town streets like Gerrard and Shuter. While Bloor street looks better than it ever has, it still irks me that a global city of 6 million people with a 250 billion dollar economy cannot support more than 2 blocks of brand name luxury retail. If one's impressions of a city were built on what one sees in the downtown core - and unfortunately, that applies to most people - Chicago would feel decisively more cosmopolitan than Toronto.

On the other hand, once you get out of the Loop and the Magnificent Mile, Chicago either gets rather vacant, rather dangerous or rather bland. There are a few bright spots like Wicker Park, Old town and areas to the north like Wrigleyville, but they are scattered and feebly small when you get there. The Queen west-like stretch of Milwaukee avenue is barely a kilometer long. Meanwhile, in Toronto, Queen itself is 14 km of vibrancy and, ironically, the only part of the street that's dull is the section through downtown! And that's not including the other great Toronto streets: College, Bloor, St. Clair, Yonge, even ugly duckling Dundas.

The good news is that both cities are getting better in their respective weak areas. The core of Toronto feels a lot more vibrant than it did 15 years ago when seemingly half of downtown was surface parking. On the other hand, Chicago has had a lot of infill in its inner neighbourhoods which has created some vibrancy around areas that were once extremely dead.

Well said hipster duck!! I also agree with a g7 country like us and a financial hub such as Toronto only has a handful of luxury stores whereas Chicago has it ALL!!!!!

Well said hipster duck!! I also agree with a g7 country like us and a financial hub such as Toronto only has a handful of luxury stores whereas Chicago has it ALL!!!!!

I'll argue this is a Canadian thing ... and will never really change ... there just isn't as much $$$ here as there is there. Wait I need to be careful ... let me reword that, there are not as many people making huge sums of money as their are in many American cities ... overall the wealth of the city probably exceeds many American ones.

Someone - I think it was unimaginative - said it best: downtown Chicago is vastly superior to downtown Toronto, but Toronto's inner neighbourhoods are vastly superior to Chicago's.

When you think about it, downtown Toronto is actually quite unimpressive. Not only is the architecture and public realm inferior to Chicago's, but downtown Toronto is incredibly fragmented, with much of its activity separated by dead zones such as the immense hospital district, pretty much anything behind city hall, and forgettable small town streets like Gerrard and Shuter. While Bloor street looks better than it ever has, it still irks me that a global city of 6 million people with a 250 billion dollar economy cannot support more than 2 blocks of brand name luxury retail. If one's impressions of a city were built on what one sees in the downtown core - and unfortunately, that applies to most people - Chicago would feel decisively more cosmopolitan than Toronto.

On the other hand, once you get out of the Loop and the Magnificent Mile, Chicago either gets rather vacant, rather dangerous or rather bland. There are a few bright spots like Wicker Park, Old town and areas to the north like Wrigleyville, but they are scattered and feebly small when you get there. The Queen west-like stretch of Milwaukee avenue is barely a kilometer long. Meanwhile, in Toronto, Queen itself is 14 km of vibrancy and, ironically, the only part of the street that's dull is the section through downtown! And that's not including the other great Toronto streets: College, Bloor, St. Clair, Yonge, even ugly duckling Dundas.

The good news is that both cities are getting better in their respective weak areas. The core of Toronto feels a lot more vibrant than it did 15 years ago when seemingly half of downtown was surface parking. On the other hand, Chicago has had a lot of infill in its inner neighbourhoods which has created some vibrancy around areas that were once extremely dead.

I completely agree ... but to be honest ... downtown Chicago, as impressive as it is ... has just as many dead zones ... actually more I'll argue. But there's a difference, their dead zones are magnificent in terms of architecture and the streetscape ... which makes a huge difference.

We should know these differences and take steps to address any deficiencies in our city, but Toronto has some amazing things to offer on pretty much any front. One may deduce quantitatively that one city has more early twentieth century landmarks than us, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much when we have so many great buildings. In presenting our city, we need to always emphasize all the good with all the talent we have as we work behind the scenes to address the bad. The point is to avoid having an inferiority complex because one may end up overly modest about our achievements and merits as other cities proclaim their grandeur.

We should know these differences and take steps to address any deficiencies in our city, but Toronto has some amazing things to offer on pretty much any front. One may deduce quantitatively that one city has more early twentieth century landmarks than us, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much when we have so many great buildings. In presenting our city, we need to always emphasize all the good with all the talent we have as we work behind the scenes to address the bad. The point is to avoid having an inferiority complex because one may end up overly modest about our achievements and merits as other cities proclaim their grandeur.

Well said :)

Having relatives (and a couple of friends) living in Chicago makes a difference in how I view the city. You can be easily taken in by the powerful architecture downtown and by the Magnificent Mile, but when you hear some personal comments by Chicagoans, you start to think that the downtown is just a big show. My acquaintances speak of the dreariness and scariness of the city outside of downtown. Additionally, I met a couple of Chicagoans while on vacation in Key West last winter and their comments were along the same lines ... they were a gay couple who lived downtown and wouldn't live elsewhere in Chicago.

I feel Toronto comes up nicely in a comparison. The downtown may not look at all like Chicago, but the areas surrounding downtown Toronto are liveble, vibrant, and have actually never really been abandoned. I am quite justifiably taken by Toronto. Oh, and I am pretty pleased overall with how our downtown is shaping up, while at the same time there certainly are things I'd have done differently if anyone ever asked me (Eaton Centre creating a dead zone on Yonge, for example).

Not really worth adding, the Chicagoans really were bummed out when they were eliminated first for the 2016 Olympic (losing to Rio).

Last edited:

Back