News   Apr 19, 2024
 181     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 573     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Toronto/Chicago comparisons

Best of: the shops on Michigan, the great plantings, and those amazing fountains in Millenium Square ( and no wussy Eaton Centrish thing sucking shoppers indoors, in yet a colder city ).
For the record, Toronto is colder than Chicago.

I tell u one thing taal!! Whenever I tell people here in Montreal that I'm going to toronto they say ooo y??? What's in Toronto I don't really like it but whenever I tell people I'm going to Chicago they say wow I looove Chicago. At first I thought it was the old Montreal vs t. O. Thing but then I started hearing it from new immigrants who have travelled around and they tell me oh we didn't like Toronto that much. Do u know y because I bet u they walked up and down yonge and around the waterfront. It just is not impressive. And I have been north yonge it is essay nicer.

I lived in Montreal for 10 years and whenever I told someone I was from Toronto, they'd say "well, no wonder you moved here". lol Many people were shocked that I would move back to Toronto and when I go to visit Montreal, they always ask when am I moving back. (as they are quite sure I will one day)

For someone who loves constant change and watching a city transform whole neighbourhoods, Toronto is the place to be. Sure, we don't have those super impressive buildings or districts but we are getting better every day. The pace of change here is quite exciting and even dull Yonge Street is going to be quite different when it's finished. We are kind of like an ugly, awkward youth, who is just starting to find his/her way. This city is getting a lot better looking but we need to take it easy with the glass boxes and grey spandrel. Give this city some COLOUR and bring more creativity to the table.

Hey, how come we have postering EVERYWHERE, yet both Chicago and New York City have almost no postering at all. I remember NYC had lots of posters in The West Village, a few years back but not anymore. They seemed to have cleaned up all of Manhattan. (though Brooklyn & the Bronx were pretty run down) Why can't Toronto clean up it's streets and solve our postering problem? Ford promised to do just that but so far, he is unsuccessful. We really need to put more effort in building and MAINTAINING our public realm.

Another thing I like about Toronto is that it's developing luxury projects, like trump and Shangri-La but it's also redeveloping poor areas, like Regent Park. It's not just wealthy areas that are being upgraded. Regent Park is getting more than just apartment buildings. It gives the impression that all areas of the city matter, not just the areas the important people call home.

I like the fact that Trump is going into the CBD because it will help bring life to an area that can be quiet after 8pm. I want to see more retail and restaurants in that area. Hey, since we can't open dance clubs in residential areas, why not build a few into smaller office towers? That way we wouldn't have to worry about noise complaints. There must be a few smaller corners or areas that could fit it a dance club. (Just a thought lol)

Last edited:
I tell u one thing taal!! Whenever I tell people here in Montreal that I'm going to toronto they say ooo y??? What's in Toronto I don't really like it but whenever I tell people I'm going to Chicago they say wow I looove Chicago. At first I thought it was the old Montreal vs t. O. Thing but then I started hearing it from new immigrants who have travelled around and they tell me oh we didn't like Toronto that much. Do u know y because I bet u they walked up and down yonge and around the waterfront. It just is not impressive. And I have been north yonge it is essay nicer.

tell your friends the feelings are mutual. Most people I know in Toronto tell me Montreal is overrated and its infrastructure is crumbling as we speak. They tell don’t waste my money going there for vacation.:eek:

arg, not the postering debate again, I love postering, I love how messy / cluttered it is and thinks it has it's place here. It's not something you'd want to see on Bloor but it's more then welcome on Queen W, Bloor West, so on ... at least in my books.

If the *cons* of Toronto are our messy streets I really don't think you're going to see any of that change for the next 10/20 years, not in current established neighborhoods, maybe the new emerging waterfront east communities will be different. The current waterfront (a.k.a cityplace and the like) are relatively clean, you can argue that's because they're quite and lack retail but nonetheless ...

I think really all Toronto needs is to clean up Yonge / Queen West till NPS / finical district; Continue this *cleanlyness* into the new waterfront east developments (which looks like it is) but keep the rest as is! There's something to be said about the current character of some of our established neighborhoods.

Even more off topic but you guys mentioned Chicago first. I'll give you my take on that place. My squeeze and I travelled there last autumn, and, while we went away impressed, we also found that the overall impression was a tad cold.

Best of: the shops on Michigan, the great plantings, and those amazing fountains in Millenium Square ( and no wussy Eaton Centrish thing sucking shoppers indoors, in yet a colder city ).

What are you talking about, Michigan Avenue is full of shopping centres. They have about 5 or 6 of them all along the Magnificent Mile. They are all full of people, so they must suck a lot of people off the street.

tell your friends the feelings are mutual. Most people I know in Toronto tell me Montreal is overrated and its infrastructure is crumbling as we speak. They tell don’t waste my money going there for vacation.:eek:

STOP! I gotta defend Montreal. I love Montreal and totally disagree with what you wrote. Yeah, Montreal can be a little rough around the edges, like Toronto but it has a whole lot of wonderful things too. No tourist can go wrong by visiting Montreal, especially for the first time. That whole French vibe can be quite intoxicating. The people in Montreal are fun, sexy, quirky and colourful. The historic architecture in that city is beautiful. I don't think Montreal is overrated. I think it deserves way more attention than it gets. It really is a special place and we are so lucky to be only a 6 hour drive away.

What are you talking about, Michigan Avenue is full of shopping centres. They have about 5 or 6 of them all along the Magnificent Mile. They are all full of people, so they must suck a lot of people off the street.

That may be so, but there is nothing in Chicago on the scale of Eaton Centre.

I lived in Montreal for 10 years and whenever I told someone I was from Toronto, they'd say "well, no wonder you moved here". lol Many people were shocked that I would move back to Toronto and when I go to visit Montreal, they always ask when am I moving back. (as they are quite sure I will one day)

For someone who loves constant change and watching a city transform whole neighbourhoods, Toronto is the place to be. Sure, we don't have those super impressive buildings or districts but we are getting better every day. The pace of change here is quite exciting and even dull Yonge Street is going to be quite different when it's finished. We are kind of like an ugly, awkward youth, who is just starting to find his/her way. This city is getting a lot better looking but we need to take it easy with the glass boxes and grey spandrel. Give this city some COLOUR and bring more creativity to the table.

Hey, how come we have postering EVERYWHERE, yet both Chicago and New York City have almost no postering at all. I remember NYC had lots of posters in The West Village, a few years back but not anymore. They seemed to have cleaned up all of Manhattan. (though Brooklyn & the Bronx were pretty run down) Why can't Toronto clean up it's streets and solve our postering problem? Ford promised to do just that but so far, he is unsuccessful. We really need to put more effort in building and MAINTAINING our public realm.

Another thing I like about Toronto is that it's developing luxury projects, like trump and Shangri-La but it's also redeveloping poor areas, like Regent Park. It's not just wealthy areas that are being upgraded. Regent Park is getting more than just apartment buildings. It gives the impression that all areas of the city matter, not just the areas the important people call home.

I like the fact that Trump is going into the CBD because it will help bring life to an area that can be quiet after 8pm. I want to see more retail and restaurants in that area. Hey, since we can't open dance clubs in residential areas, why not build a few into smaller office towers? That way we wouldn't have to worry about noise complaints. There must be a few smaller corners or areas that could fit it a dance club. (Just a thought lol)

Pretty much sums it up for Toronto these days. Years ago I called it an attractive teenager except for the acne and the braces. It's still a bit like that, but you can see that adulthood is around the corner.

I think you have written well in this thread but is all of this stuff OT or what?

For someone who loves constant change and watching a city transform whole neighbourhoods, Toronto is the place to be. Sure, we don't have those super impressive buildings or districts but we are getting better every day.

I like reading your comments about Toronto and Chicago, but we do have our share of super impressive buildings and great districts.

I like reading your comments about Toronto and Chicago, but we do have our share of super impressive buildings and great districts.

We do but compared to some of theirs, particularly where their museums are concentrated you can argue there's nothing similar. Really though I'm not a big fan of the museum district as really that's all it is. But another point there is they do have quite a few more large scale museums and the like compared to us.

Clearly there's more architecture from the early / mid 1900's that so in that sense it's a lot more impressive.

I love Toronto and have lived here all my life, but after a bunch of trips to Chicago I have to say it's Toronto done right.

Do you guys know over 50% of that state's governors are in jail for corruption? Do you guys know about the ties with organized crime and the Chicago unions?

what do you expect??? It's Gotham City? (lol... i don't know how true that is about the corruption thing... but if it is, i never knew that)

and Chicago isn't a dead city. There are plenty of year round city events that take place at Navy Pier, Millennium Park, etc... as well as it being a big sports city (with teams that are actually decent)

BTW:
How can you guys not dig Chicago's gold coast?!?! toronto has nothing like it!
925003-chicago_from_oak_street_beach-chicago.jpg

http://lifescolorfulbrushstrokes.fi...003-chicago_from_oak_street_beach-chicago.jpg

3601903299_c4b981b81f.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/3601903299_c4b981b81f.jpg

U can start walking south of the city and walk all the way up north, the skyline is always in full view and doesn't stop to impress u!!! But then again Chicago had that fire early in the century which helped them start from scratch!! They have no signs of industry at all along the city's shores and is in itself an old city with a lot of history but as some people mentioned they focus their energy on a few blocks. the rest of the city is not so impressive but people only see Michigan/the river/the waterfront!!!

Back