Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

As for the Sheraton Centre and NPS they could just cover the stretch of Queen between Bay and University with an elevated park - would make a real nice green promenade and provide an amphitheatre for mega events at NPS like New Years. Kind of like a low, fat version of the High Line...

That would make that section of the street even more bland, dark and depressing than it already is! Interesting idea though.

Toronto Star: Delta Hotels to abandon management of Toronto’s Chelsea hotel

Delta Hotels and Resorts is giving up management of Canada’s biggest hotel, Toronto’s downtown Chelsea, June 30 next year as part of its national effort to rebuild and rebrand itself as a “next-generation premium four-star hotel” chain.

The 1,590-room hotel at Gerrard and Yonge Sts. will be renamed The Chelsea Toronto and become the first Canadian hotel to be managed by the Langham Hospitality Group, which includes luxury brands such as London’s famed Langham, opened in 1865 as Europe’s first grand hotel.
The Delta name has graced the Chelsea for 37 of Delta’s 50 years as one of Canada’s major hotel brands, he noted.
That means for at least 18 months, there will be no Delta hotel in Canada’s biggest city: The chain’s new 45-storey, flagship hotel now under construction on Lower Simcoe St. isn’t slated to open until the end of 2014.

I presume Langham has brands that are not exclusively luxury. 1600 rooms seems excessive for a luxury hotel in Toronto.

^ I went to their website and it looks like they're on a push to expand into North America with new hotels opening up in Boston & Chicago in 2013 under their 'Eaton' brand.

An Eaton-branded hotel just up the street from the Eaton Centre? That would seem to be a very happy coincidence!

The upcoming Langham Chicago will be located in the former IBM Building (330 North Wabash), designed by Ludwig Mies van der Roh (his final building). The 52-story tower is Mies's second tallest (after the TD Tower). The Boston hotel is in a former Federal Reserve Bank building. The London hotel was formerly a grand hotel built 1863-65 (according to wikipedia), had been branded the Langham Hilton for a time, before being converted to a flagship hotel for the Langham chain.

The Langham Toronto will be in the, uh, less architecturally/historically significant Chelsea Hotel. Let's hope they can spiff it up and give it some class.

http://www.langhamhotels.com/

Hopefully the new management will be warm to the idea of extending PATH through the hotel to Aura. But I don't know if it would be up to them to decide.

I believe this is only a change in management, ownership remains the same. Thus shouldn't affect any planned renovation.

Correct, the current owners (Hong Kong based "Great Eagle" ) have owned the place since the mid 90's. One of the other things that the current owners own is Langham Hospitality Group. A quote from their page is:

The brands include the luxurious Langham and Langham Place, the five-star Eaton Luxe, midscale Eaton and the award-winning Chuan Spa

Would seem a fotunate coincidence that their "midscale" brand happens to be a name well connected to the Toronto scene. Of course, there may be issues around using that name in Toronto....the company may be gone but I think there are still some family members around.

Back