Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

Not to mention Toronto has some really nice cheap airbnbs, compared to many other cities. Most other cities the rooms/apts are further from the core or are gross old and lived in. There are a lot of brand new downtown airbnb options.
Though places like the hilton canopy at bloor and sherbourne will help fill that void.

That's true. When my out of town friends visit Toronto they only stay at Airbnb's. Lots of selection and are all in prime locations. You can get large condo unit with a full sized kitchen 2 baths..etc for the price of a tiny room at the Holiday Inn. Toronto doesn't have much of a selection when it comes to mid level hotels. I can see why Airbnb's are so popular in the city.

i wouldn't want to live in a condo full of Airbnb's. I know some people who have had sleepless nights because of loud parties and let's say adult activities;) that went on in the unit next door.

Last edited:
Lout parties or loud parties? Never mind, it feels like much the same thing anyway.

I concur. Definitely would not want to live in a building full of Airbnb action.

Lout parties or loud parties? Never mind, it feels like much the same thing anyway.

I concur. Definitely would not want to live in a building full of Airbnb action.

*Loud. New York made it illegal to advertise your apartment on Airbnb for less than 30 days. I can see Toronto doing the same soon. Although a quick look at NYC Airbnbs, it doesn't look like they are enforcing the law.

Mirvish Village is pretty big.
I wouldn't consider Mirvish Village to be big at all, although I like it a lot!
Is the OMB still empowered to approve this, or have the changes to OMB taken effect already?

I hate to sound simplistic, but why can't City Hall simply say "yes"? This is a great looking project in an area that needs some revitalization. Big thinking always gets punished.

I hate to sound simplistic, but why can't City Hall simply say "yes"? This is a great looking project in an area that needs some revitalization. Big thinking always gets punished.
Council never ever approves an application because it's a "great looking project".

Haha...It's all about money, 'what can we get in order to let you get':p
Every planner and (at least downtown) Ward Councillor will tell you that they never negotiate the Section 37 public benefits until they're happy with the proposal on its planning merits. In this case, Planning and the developer hadn't yet agreed on final details for the proposal, and long after the required response time from the City, the developer has appealed based on that lack of decision by the City. They wouldn't therefore, have gotten to the "what we can get in order to let you get" phase of the negotiations.

Surprised they are opposing it.

I mean, I understand Yonge Street is 'overstrained', but I would oppose every other development on the corridor before this one. This reconnects Walton Street!

Planning recommends that Council send staff to oppose the proposal at the OMB: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-107553.pdf

A hearing is scheduled for October 1, 2018.

Is a year (almost) a common or usual wait for a hearing by the OMB? My impression is that this is a long gap but my memory may well be faulty.

For what very little it may be worth, I would not be unhappy with a change that sees a difference in the heights of the two main towers.

Back