Vaughan Centro Square Condos & Shops | ?m | 33s | Liberty Development | Kirkor

To do that they'd have to bring down speed limits, add more intersections, and dump the name Highway 7 in favour of something—anything—else.

Look at what they've been doing in Markham... lower speed limits, more intersections, new/wider sidewalks, bike lanes. I think they're doing something similar in Vaughan, although you can only do so much when there's a kilometer-long bridge in the middle.

The issue with the name is that it's one continuous road that is a real highway in the middle. Imagine if Bathurst turned into the Allen Road north of St. Clair, which then turns into Dufferin St. after 7 km - that's what Highway 7 is like.

Hwy 7 doesn't resemble Allen Road that much, even the section north of the 401 after the freeway ends. Hwy. 7 has driveways, sidewalks, frequent traffic lights, and transit.

7 is a limited access highway for over 8km from roughly Keele to Bayview, with an 80km/h speed limit. Only difference is that it has stop lights instead of interchanges like on Allen Road. Traffic lights are very infrequent (9 stoplights in 8km), pedestrian facilities consist of an unplowed asphalt shoulder, and driveway accesses are limited to a few gas stations. It isn't a 400 series highway, but it isn't some urban arterial either.

Last edited:
So give it a suburban arterial-type name. As per Mississauga's Erin Mills Parkway, this could be the Golden Horseshoe Parkway. At least it would have something the teensiest bit poetic, instead of the horrid sense of placelessness that the current 'name' imparts.

Quick drive-by from yesterday:

IMG_0555.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 762
Last week, the Staples store moved out of the strip mall neighbouring this development, to a location in the Colossus block. I can't help but wonder if this strip mall's owner is considering selling it off to developers.

Last week, the Staples store moved out of the strip mall neighbouring this development, to a location in the Colossus block. I can't help but wonder if this strip mall's owner is considering selling it off to developers.

That would be the best bet. It's basically dead anyways, most of the storefronts are empty and have been for a while

That would be the best bet. It's basically dead anyways, most of the storefronts are empty and have been for a while
Good Life Fitness is still there and is quite active. But this does get me thinking: what is near Centro Square that would attract potential residents? They should have sold the units with the slogan: "Within walking distance of two gas stations and a home improvement centre." Well, I guess Burger's Priest gets some points, but I personally don't like that place--the only time I was there the floor was greasy and sticky.

Good Life Fitness is still there and is quite active. But this does get me thinking: what is near Centro Square that would attract potential residents? They should have sold the units with the slogan: "Within walking distance of two gas stations and a home improvement centre." Well, I guess Burger's Priest gets some points, but I personally don't like that place--the only time I was there the floor was greasy and sticky.

Good Life and Ambrosia are basically all that's left in there now.

Within walking distance there's actually a lot. It's not going to the most ped friendly but Vaughan is not that city yet. Here's a list, off the top of my head for all the big stores within walking distance (1km radius)

• Cineplex Collosus
  • Costco/Fortinos
  • Dozens of restaurants (the plaza kitty-corner, Collosus Plaza, the plaza directly behind the tower, and Plaza Del Sol (Best Buy/Fortinos/Canadian Tire Area)
  • Dozens of stores (in the same plazas as above)
  • Lots of small business (in the Marycroft area), my cycle shop is back there
  • A few churches (off Weston)
  • A bunch of daycare centers
Honestly, every single store you need for day-to-day living can be found in walking distance. The only thing that area is missing is a nightlife scene, but you could always go to one of the billion banquet halls or hang out at Tim's like the teens ;)

The towers exterior is basically done. The tower cranes are long gone, the podium is basically done.
They're also adding another traffic light between Chrislea Rd and Highway 7 (on Weston), a distance of 200m between lights now, because traffic wasn't already bottle-necking enough and the new condo owners can't take Chrislea like a normal person.

IMG_20170902_110709.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170902_110709.jpg
    IMG_20170902_110709.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 695

Back