Toronto The Carlaw | ?m | 12s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

See that's the concern. Eleven stories, is eight more than they are allowed now. It would completely eclipse a seven year old project right behind it. Sync is on the DVP and Queen Street. This new location, is nowhere near such an intersection. So for local residents, it is not nice. Nowhere along Carlaw has this been shown in precedent. Everything to the South (100% of all development) has been there before, or is separated from residential. This new placement, is currently separated by a parking lot. Development to 8 to 11 stories would seriously contrast its East residents, by a mere ten feet, if that.

Not to mention, it is a gateway for the last outstanding building in the hood to also sell, which could also bring a huge burden to the neighbourhood behind it. There is a reason for proper integration, and this might be a huge fail. Everybody expects Toronto to move into the future, but not at the cost of screwing over residential neighbourhoods within the past 10 years.

Please remember, there are residences along the backside of all these new buildings.

I am worried. Very worried.

Well for one, they certainly didn't block the view of downtown from my house. Second, close out any natural sunlight...from my house. Third, disallow any satellite signals...from my house. Not to mention everybody else around here.

Taller buildings in the Yorkville area basically have shaded the whole neighbourhood for most of the year. Tall to the South, tall to the East, tall to the West. If this is where you lived, instead of being Yorkville, you would be concerned.

Well for one, they certainly didn't block the view of downtown from my house. Second, close out any natural sunlight...from my house. Third, disallow any satellite signals...from my house. Not to mention everybody else around here.

Taller buildings in the Yorkville area basically have shaded the whole neighbourhood for most of the year. Tall to the South, tall to the East, tall to the West. If this is where you lived, instead of being Yorkville, you would be concerned.

I'm glad you opened up to the NIMBYism in your second post. I'm betting this goes to 8-10 stories with ground level retail. I think you'd better get used to the idea and engage Streetcar to make your new view as unobtrusive to you as possible.

Due to the new heights along Carlaw south of Dundas, the general crappiness of the buildings that are currently standing there, and the possibility of continuing the Renaissance of Carlaw, this will be a great addition to the street, if they make some effort on the design.

No it's not NIMBYism. It's called being practical. The current building was denied a height increase on the current three floors. And asking in forums like this about what might happen, is exactly part of the process of engaging Streetcar. But thanks for the...advice.

And if you actually took the time to look, none of the previous buildings sit directly alongside any residences. The expansion is indeed going to start grinding along the current residential neighbourhoods, and this building would be the first. To say ten stories there would mean ten stories all the way up to the Danforth. Even the Worklofts or the Flatiron building was reduced from its original plan.

The citizens in the area are part of the development of such buildings. There is a lot of feedback on the Showcase Lofts, as people think it's plain ugly. I guess that's NIMBYism as well? It's actually people that care for the design of a future neighbourhood, so that everybody wins. Nobody around here expects development not to happen. They just want it reasonable. They do anywhere. I think you'd better get used to that.

No it's not NIMBYism. It's called being practical. The current building was denied a height increase on the current three floors. And asking in forums like this about what might happen, is exactly part of the process of engaging Streetcar. But thanks for the...advice.

And if you actually took the time to look, none of the previous buildings sit directly alongside any residences. The expansion is indeed going to start grinding along the current residential neighbourhoods, and this building would be the first. To say ten stories there would mean ten stories all the way up to the Danforth. Even the Worklofts or the Flatiron building was reduced from its original plan.

The citizens in the area are part of the development of such buildings. There is a lot of feedback on the Showcase Lofts, as people think it's plain ugly. I guess that's NIMBYism as well? It's actually people that care for the design of a future neighbourhood, so that everybody wins. Nobody around here expects development not to happen. They just want it reasonable. They do anywhere. I think you'd better get used to that.

Liar.

LOL. Lying about what? Believe what you want.

Lady, you can't say you don't want the view from your deck in a group of three story townhouses to be affected by a new, taller building being built between your deck and downtown, and then also say that you're not being a Not In My BackYard NIMBY. It just doesn't compute.

As for your comment about '10 stories to Danforth', that's just silly.

First off, I'm not a lady. Second, my deck doesn't even face that way. Third, there is a difference between what's there, and a ten story building.

You're just silly. You obviously don't know what height means. I guess being simple is easy.

Well... I agree with BeeRich on that yes, we do care about our neighbourhood. However, I can understand the argument about how it will not allow any natural light to enter their personal living space. They should compensate the property owners who will never see the light of day..literally.

Where do you live? Badgerow?

South of Badgerow. This building butts up against the back yards on Badgerow, so the whole block will be affected, and depending on the height, even more so.

BeeRich said (speaking of Yorkville towers), "Well for one, they certainly didn't block the view of downtown from my house. Second, close out any natural sunlight...from my house. Third, disallow any satellite signals...from my house. Not to mention everybody else around here." The inference, of course, is that your house will be cut off from the view downtown, sunlight, and satellite signals(??!!) if someone were to erect a 10-story building on this site.

Then BeeRich said, "First off, I'm not a lady. Second, my deck doesn't even face that way. Third, there is a difference between what's there, and a ten story building. You're just silly. You obviously don't know what height means. I guess being simple is easy." To which I reply, 1. Sorry. Anyone that would use a baby picture as an avatar and the nom de internet "BeeRich", I assumed was female. My apologies. 2. If your deck doesn't face that way, why in hell are you worried about the sun being cut off?? Your exposure would be EAST or SOUTH. Since the sun comes up in the east, and in the summer takes a southerly path across the horizon, you would have hours of sunlight, even if you were DIRECTLY BENEATH this reputed 10-story behemoth. 3. Of course I know the difference between a three-story and a ten-story building. Seventy feet, give or take. BUT, I also believe that, given an assumed setback from the back of the lot and the laneway of the new towns, the shadow will not affect much except Carlaw until late in the afternoon.

Last, and certainly not least, let's examine the rest of Carlaw. Between this site and Badgerow, I guess you might make the case they could knock down the towns on Badgerow for another condo. Then there's the Hydro station, tracks, No Frills, a bunch of 2-3 story crappy houses mostly cut up into apartments, then at the corner of Carlaw & Riverdale, we hit R-1 zoning, Withrow Park, and eventually Danforth. Unlike tearing down crappy office/industrial on Dundas to make way for condos, the zoning/neighborhood/park won't allow for '10-story buildings all the way to Danforth.' So, yes... you're exaggerating to try to prove a point. Which, IMHO, is silly.

Why don't you wait until the renders are released? Then you can demand shadow surveys/dog parks/80 foot willows to be planted.

Hey "Rat" (who knows what I should assume about that). What are you going to be when you grow up?

You think sunlight in a person's neighbourhood is about their deck? Time for you to go outside. Have a look around. Welcome to the big city. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of neat things that you just don't get. Second, have a look at the neighbourhood. Yes it will take some remedial effort, but go for it anyway. To the south of a lot of these homes is yet another piece of real estate. That also going up 10 stories, which all of us have been waiting to eventually sell, will do the same. Third, DIRECTLY BENEATH this newly proposed building is exactly where a lot of people are. Did you miss that part? That laneway is indeed private property. Nice assumption on the "setback of the lot". That is just plain convenient. And your convenient shadow assumptions are just wrong. Late afternoon is 4pm. The SE corner of this lot has an effect many hours before that.

The ability to put up ten storeys ends at Dundas. That's why the current building at three stories, was denied a height increase. So your proposal of mowing it all down for your buildings that might look like the Showcase Lofts, then you just don't get it. You can't knock down houses that are in a residential neighbourhood, right beside other houses, and put up ten stories. No exaggeration whatsoever. Doesn't need to be any. The City has already recognized it. Your take on all this, is nothing but speculation, which IMHO, is silly.

Wait for what? To get people involved? I don't want dog parks. We already have had one taken by dog owners at Carlaw & Gerrard.

Im a little confused here. How can someone not expect high rise development when they live in low density, in a renewable part of town 5 mins from downtown in Canadas largest city and like 50th largest in the world. Did you really expect things to always stay the same???..... cause that would blow my mind.

That's interesting. Since I provide change for several companies, and studied change management, you are wrong. Second, a lot of people in our neighbourhood look forward and encourage change in the neighbourhood, as long as it's reasonable. In fact, we were all asked to provide input on the zoning changes for the current building at 345 Carlaw. I voted in favour.

As well, I don't know what they are proposing, because they haven't released anything other than "what size loft would you like?" on their website. So I can't say that I don't want what they are offering, because they haven't said anything. But as a resident, I have to assume they will try to augment their business plan by going with the highest thing they can shove in there successfully. It just might be that things are fine, but they certainly aren't going to take our "suggestions" for the building and design any building plans because we told them so.

And some responsive points to Leslieville and expansion:

- we are carrying the load for the new streetcars, which are turning at Leslie & Queen
- Leslieville has a large number of construction projects. This intersection now has three projects, and another whose developer purchase has just gone through.
- the developers of the Showcase Lofts have put out renders and a model in their sales building of what most people consider to be quite ugly. The City of Toronto is changing all the time, but if they continue to let developers run rampant with profitable designs, then the City will turn into the mess the waterfront has become. There are indeed shades of grey in this, and the community certainly has an input. It's part of the process, not NIMBY.

Back