Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
Canary Block Condos  
460 Front Street, Toronto
Developer: DundeeKilmer

Canary Block Condos | 42m | 12s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB | Page 2

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by AlvinofDiaspar, Nov 14, 2016.

1. G.L.17

G.L.17 Senior Member

So while scrambling down notes at the Waterfront DRP last week, it turns out three errors were made when we published the article on Friday. We updated the article to fix the errors, the first being the colour of the bricks (which was a big deal for a lot of people), the type of balcony treatment, and developer DundeeKilmer, a joint venture of Dream & Kilmer Van Nostrand, was mistakenly identified as Dream, formerly Dundee Realty Corporation.

Here is the updated article:
    http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/11...-block-16-hits-waterfront-design-review-panel

ADRM and AlvinofDiaspar like this.

2. interchange42

interchange42 Administrator Staff Member

…so thank goodness they're going for a different colour of brick here! It'll be interesting to see how much gray fleck there is in the buff coloured brick, and how well that ties it to surrounding buildings (while still setting this one apart).

Meanwhile, the images in that pdf of the presentation which @AlvinofDiaspar linked in a post yesterday, are of a bizarrely low quality. I'm not sure how you make a pdf that bad. The result is that it's pretty hard to tell how the building will actually look based on this plan. I suppose we'll have to wait a few months for the more seductive high-quality marketing renderings to come out… and then of course the proof will be in the building of the thing a couple of years later.

Anyway, I'm much happier about this now than I was from Greg's initial report!

3. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

@interchange42 I suspect they wanted to emphasize the preliminary nature of the design - the PDF is likely from scanned copies of printed slides - and you don't do that (what a roundabout way) unless it is the intent to reduce the quality (or to assure the PDF is exactly the same as what's given out).

Having said that, it is a relatively small price to pay to having access to presentations that were otherwise not provided online previously. Recall a time when - other than showing up in person at a meeting - we would know nothing about the proposals other than by description in the minutes months later. That is still the norm with the city's DRP.

AoD

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  4. Tulse

Tulse Senior Member

But it's not consistent with the rest of the built form, which uses multiple masses and negative spaces, rather than just a straight rectangular solid.

5. maestro

maestro Senior Member

Okay, the height and general massing is consistent with the rest of the street. How often does that remain true in Toronto as plans are often revised for denser (taller) development? As far as design goes, I don't recall the Lemay Michaud buildings having multiple masses and negative spaces of any significance.

6. Uncle Teddy

Uncle Teddy Senior Member

No harm in mixing it up a bit.

7. ilikemilk

ilikemilk New Member

You still need to insulate under where there is livable space that is exposed to the elements. Thermally broken balconies wouldn't remove that need. You'd still have a cold space above or below a warm space. Anyway, I'm 99.9% certain that they used thermally broken balconies on those 2 towers.

8. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

From Dezeen:
    https://www.dezeen.com/2012/12/12/absolute-towers-by-mad/

AoD

9. interchange42

Wow - thanks for finding that @AlvinofDiaspar, and thanks for persisting @ilikemilk. Always happy to have the correct info out there, even if it wasn't what I had expected!

10. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

alexanderglista likes this.
  11. Edward Skira

Edward Skira http://skyrisecities.com Staff Member

12. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

Another note is that the balconies are going to be like those at aA's Harbour Plaza. Not glass - but perforated sheets.

AoD

ADRM likes this.
  13. interchange42

Yup, we caught that in the first front page story. I think we'll see a lot more of it in Toronto: even though the new code for glass balcony guards means that they are very unlikely to fail now, developers are going feel more confident about these perforated metal guards.

I like a number of the moves in this update. There are several tweaks that make going through the presentation slides worthwhile, but I'd highlight a more varied articulation to the balcony fronts and an increased attention to colour on the building as major wins.

14. Tulse

Tulse Senior Member

The stripes on the mechanical and above the retail section are really welcome additions -- this area has solid architecture but has a rather drab palette.

ADRM and interchange42 like this.
  15. ADRM

ADRM Senior Member

Interesting note from the latest WT report:

Dundee Kilmer continues to complete designs for their next building (Block 16, on the north side of Front St. between Tannery Rd. and Rolling Mills Rd.) in order to initiate market sales in the spring of 2017. The Design Review Panel has asked that Dundee Kilmer include an accessible green roof on the top of the building. Dundee Kilmer is looking into the feasibility of this idea.