Toronto CampusOne Student Residence (was University Place) | 79.85m | 25s | Knightstone | Diamond Schmitt

Like this future residential tower, I love to draw attention to myself.:D Did you watch my TV show last night?

I suppose in a perfect world one might gain attention for something other than saying things that are rather asinine but, whatever. Take it where you find it.

Anyway, your logic reminds of the bastardized Warhol: “In the future everyone will be famous to 15 peopleâ€â€”so enjoy it, man….

I really like the size and scale of Ideal Lofts on the corner of Markham and College (one of aA earlier buildings).
It both respects the scale of College Street, while steps back to the south which respectes the old houses on Markham Street.
I think this would be a nice precident to follow on this stretch of College Street.

ideal1.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot of Ideal, Neuhaus. Yours? (If so, please take more, post more!)

I agree with you regarding Ideal, and I'd like to see versions of it on Avenues all over the city. Who knows how high the U of T will be allowed to build on their stretch of College. I'll be very surprised if they get anywhere near 40, at the outside of their stated goal, and a little surprised if they get zoning for 30, at the inside of their goal... but I am willing to bet that they will be allowed to build quite a bit more than Ideal's 9 storeys. They have a neighbourhood fight ahead of them, no matter how high above current zoning they want to go. This one may go as far as the OMB... but I am speculating very early in the process.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchPlanningApp.do

OPA / Rezoning 10 239490 STE 20 OZ 245-247 COLLEGE ST Aug 13, 2010 Application Submitted Aug 13, 2010 Ward-20
South-District Mixed Use - Residential / Non-Residential 2315 38620 40935 0 2176 --- --- ---
Rezoning application to permit construction of new 42 storey academic residences complete with 3 storey podium containing retail, academic services and lecture halls for University of Toronto.

Ask for 42, get 35?

I was on Spadina recently for the first time in ages and I realized it seems odd that it's not very lively/trendy or cool anymore, considering its close proximity to the UofT, Kensington Market and all those downtown condos. In some ways, perhaps the buildings should just be pulled for (design review panel mandated) attractive highrise replacements?

For those arguing it would destroy the character of the neighbourhood--what about the DD? Do three or four highrises destroy the feel of that area? Did the tall buildings along St George destroy the Annex? Do the dozen or so highrises in my area destroy the feel of High Park/the Junction?

I think this may become an excellent Central Park-styled hood--where the campus is the park and College and Bloor St the 5th and 8th Av respectively. (Ok, so NYC comparisons are lame, but you know what I mean...:))

Last edited:
I was on Spadina recently for the first time in ages and I realized it seems odd that it's not very lively/trendy or cool anymore, considering its close proximity to the UofT, Kensington Market and all those downtown condos. In some ways, perhaps the buildings should just be pulled for (design review panel mandated) attractive highrise replacements?

If it's all about "lively/trendy/cool", it's like using date rape drugs because the girls won't "put out" for you on their own anymore.

Ask for 42, get 35?

Ask for 42, get 42.

(Actually, I suspect you are right UD, but I wonder if they will get as much as 35 even. There is nothing remotely close to that for many blocks in any direction, and I am not convinced that such a great exception will be allowed just because it is a student residence - even such a cool looking one - being proposed.)

Looks fantastic! Time to pull down many more buildings north of Dundas to College and get proper city action happening.

Actually, there's already proper city action in the area you mention; density, diversity, and heritage are all aspects present there. Not that the area couldn't evolve, but College Street has thus far showcased the beauty of a midrise streetscape.

It's quite obviously too tall for the location, and the report makes it clear on pages 6-7:

The applicant’s proposal for a 137.55 metre tall building at this location is significantly higher than the surrounding buildings, and is not supportable. The proposed 42-storey tower does not fit into the existing context, and does not respect the existing character or building proportions of the immediate area, or provide appropriate transitions in scale to neighbouring buildings. The variation between the height proposed and the height of the adjacent neighbourhood is also problematic, and does not reflect a scale that is consistent with the surrounding area.

Intensification on land adjacent to neighbourhoods is required to be carefully controlled so that neighbourhoods are protected from negative impact by locating and organizing to fit with its existing and/or planned context. The plans submitted with the application do not fit harmoniously within the existing context. The proposal seeks to introduce a built form and density that are greater than what exists in the area. The variation between the height of the proposed buildings and the height of the adjacent neighbourhood is inconsistent with the surrounding context, and needs to be revisted.
Nothing close to 137.55 metres would be appropriate. In terms of the architecture, it would be quite remarkable, but as presented seems to lack elegance, with no rhythm to the random stack of boxes.

It is not too tall. This is a city. Tall towers amongst smaller buildings doesn't bother me at all. Why do we need to have monotony?

I'd love to see a real render of this!

What might the city realistically approve here? Looking at the north elevation diagram, I could see 15 stories, considering the CAMH building across the street is about 13.

This is also nearly on Spadina which has to be the widest street in Toronto without any highrise on it (save for CityPlace).

+1

This is also nearly on Spadina which has to be the widest street in Toronto without any highrise on it (save for CityPlace).

There is also The Hudson at King and south of Bloor there are the two rental buildings on either side of Sussex (666 Spadina and the one with The Beer Store) and that new condo building I forget the name of.

I can see 17-20 storeys here, but would prefer something shorter with better architecture like the Woodsworth College Residence.

The city report reads like a real slap-down of this project. I don't think this thing has a chance in hell of approval in anything like its proposed form or height.

It is not too tall. This is a city. Tall towers amongst smaller buildings doesn't bother me at all. Why do we need to have monotony?

Yeah! That's why I love it when, for instance, I'm having an enjoyable dinner at a restaurant, and one person stops talking and starts screaming in my face, pounding the table with his fist. Breaks the monotony! It's why I'm a big fan of action movies that break up the chase sequences with a Busby Berkeley dance routine. I can't stand monotony! It's why I like fish with my ice cream (boo monotony!) and doctors who juggle (go away monotony!) and ships that sink (all that monotonous floating!).

Sometimes monotony isn't monotony, it's consistency. And the reason consistency helps is that otherwise, you spend your time going "Holy shit, what is THAT doing here?" And that's something we try to avoid.

Back