Toronto Burbank Heights | 108.07m | 32s | Sky Property Group | Kirkor

cruzin4u

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today I noticed that PRINCIPATO'S AUTO SERVICE is no more.

This is at the North West corner of Sheppard / Burbank Dr.

Today it had a fence around the property and a bulldozer on site.

Any idea's what is going on here?

23651662019_5895b8ab1a_h.jpg

Northern Light's Buried Thread Excavation Service on-site to meet your needs.

This site has an application in the AIC, 7 years later.

It has, however, grown a wee bit, to include 7 lots to the west.

The assembled parcels now cover 692 Sheppard Avenue East to 720 Sheppard Avenue East, as per the image below from the Planning Report:

1666775618660.png

For the Title:

Proponent: One to One Global Ltd

Height: 20s

Architect: KirKor

With that out of the way; the App:

1666775800673.png

From the Docs:

1666775866111.png

1666775969092.png

In the render above, what time of day, at what time of year could this building be in this flattering glow? I wasn't even sure it was plausible.......(the building's north elevation is shown)

But to be fair, I'm me, LOL, I looked it up. I've determined that roughly around Canada Day, Sunrise might just manage to be slightly to the north-east, in/around 5:30am So, if they build this thing, and you want that view, you'll all know to catch the night bus, and find a spot on higher ground to the north.

Analysis via: https://sun-direction.com/city/13465,toronto/

Oh right, where were we?

1666776902758.png

1666776934860.png

Site Plan:

1666777019849.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1666777097484.png

* excuse me for just a moment.......ya I know, again.......... LOL.........

But this retail is going to have window film along the majority of its frontage, at least for most formats. Look at how shallow it is; that's too much functional space to give up against what should be the Sheppard Avenue windows.

Also, it's KirKor............so we know it'll be a bit on the busy side. @DavidCapizzano, I know, takes the position that less can be more........in this case, maybe a lot less, LOL. The renders don't fully show you how busy this is:

1666777580109.png

You know, I actually want to give them a modicum of credit, LOL, I see a good intention here........but this is a misunderstanding of granularity. I think I'll leave it at that.

1666777315710.png

A parking ratio of nearly .65, when located over a subway line, and a short walk to two stations?

Residual Commentary:

For Sheppard the height is not unreasonable at all, though the expression of the tower with a near straight-on street wall may not be well received. The assembly backs directly on to SFH, but does terrace down, for the most part, leaves a substantial buffer at the rear of the site. I would still expect opposition here, but Planning should be open to this conversation.

That said, the proposed park is...............ridiculous. Toronto does not need narrow green bowling alleys littering the landscape.

Logical park expansions in the area would include these sites:

1666778113946.png

As this would serve to create quality access to an existing park from a road to the north which is currently limited to a narrow easement between homes.

Or, alternatively:

1666778326528.png

Any properties in the highlighted block above, which is 100% private properties backing onto a ravine, which is publicly accessible park land to both the east and the west, but not in this central location.

Last edited:
Residual Commentary:

For Sheppard the height is not unreasonable at all, though the expression of the tower with a near straight-on street wall may not be well received. The assembly backs directly on to SFH, but does terrace down, for the most part, leaves a substantial buffer at the rear of the site. I would still expect opposition here, but Planning should be open to this conversation.

That said, the proposed park is...............ridiculous. Toronto does not need narrow green bowling alleys littering the landscape.

Logical park expansions in the area would include these sites:

View attachment 434947

As this would serve to create quality access to an existing park from a road to the north which is currently limited to a narrow easement between homes.

Or, alternatively:

View attachment 434948

Any properties in the highlighted block above, which is 100% private properties backing onto a ravine, which is publicly accessible park land to both the east and the west, but not in this central location.
Oh, they WILL fight. The properties on the south end of Whittaker Cres. will be in complete shadow from dawn til dusk on winter solstice; or at the least in shadow during the morning for half of the year.
*reference to the Sun Shadow Study

The looks of the building gives an impression that it's a number of building base on different heights and face looks

Time to face the fact that anything over 3 story is going to cast a shadow over all properties to the north of X site and start living with it. If you don't want shadows over your property, then time to pay a higher property tax for it. Those new owners will help to keep your taxes down as the city grows larger.

The only place to put people these days is in taller building as there is no more room for single homes. Don't want taller buildings, watch your tax bill take a steep incline hit yearly as someone has to pay to keep the city running and workable.

The looks of the building gives an impression that it's a number of building base on different heights and face looks

Time to face the fact that anything over 3 story is going to cast a shadow over all properties to the north of X site and start living with it. If you don't want shadows over your property, then time to pay a higher property tax for it. Those new owners will help to keep your taxes down as the city grows larger.

The only place to put people these days is in taller building as there is no more room for single homes. Don't want taller buildings, watch your tax bill take a steep incline hit yearly as someone has to pay to keep the city running and workable.
3 storey is a bit of an exaggeration. Some of the SFHs are already 3 storeys. Have you read the sun/shadow report? Looks like changing the building to 15 storey may just solve most of the shadow issue. If it's on the south side of Sheppard, then 20 storey is perfect height, perhaps even 25.

With the acquisition of 694 Sheppard Ave East, this has been resubmitted at a higher density with the following changes:
  • Increased from a single 29-storey (73m) tower to two 32-storey (108.07m) towers
  • Total residential units increased from 558 to 841 (including 15 rental replacement)
  • Total vehicular parking increased from 298 to 459
  • Total bicycle parking increased from 438 to 649
  • Underground levels increased from 2 to 3
Updated renderings:
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Plans_Burbank Heights-0.jpg
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Plans_Burbank Heights-1167.jpg
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Plans_Burbank Heights-1168.jpg
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Plans_Burbank Heights-1169.jpg

good project overall but it is certainly a VERY shallow site, it will be surely interesting to see how they deal with the transitioning to existing 1-2 storey homes abutting immediately to the north here

Back