Toronto Burano | ?m | 48s | Lanterra | a—A

Via Vai is now open in the atrium at the north end. The designers have made the most of Sandro Martini's frescoes and etched glass panels, although one of those panels is now in fragments, although still held together. It still looks good though.

I enjoyed my meal!

1IMG_7427.jpg

2IMG_7424.jpg

3IMG_7434.jpg

4IMG_7432.jpg

5IMG_7429.jpg

6IMG_7444.jpg

7IMG_7436.jpg

8IMG_7446.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

If you want to read about how the art was created, check out our story from 2 and a half years ago here!

Attachments

• 1IMG_7427.jpg
    1IMG_7427.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 1,491
  • 2IMG_7424.jpg
    2IMG_7424.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 1,474
  • 3IMG_7434.jpg
    3IMG_7434.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 4IMG_7432.jpg
    4IMG_7432.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 1,575
  • 5IMG_7429.jpg
    5IMG_7429.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 1,488
  • 6IMG_7444.jpg
    6IMG_7444.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 1,468
  • 7IMG_7436.jpg
    7IMG_7436.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 1,509
  • 8IMG_7446.jpg
    8IMG_7446.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,466
  • DSC00808.jpg
    DSC00808.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 1,481
Striking artwork there, including the display structure for the wine. I think display is the right word because it's a terrible way to store wine. Form dominates function there. Maybe they were thinking of the famous wine greenhouses of the great chateaux of France. :)

you are really into brick lately.

I think the shattered panel is actually the most interesting. On a similar note I've always been happy that urban outfitters left their window shattered after G20.

I think the shattered panel is actually the most interesting. On a similar note I've always been happy that urban outfitters left their window shattered after G20.

That window was shattered before G20. Actually, the windows on both sides of the entrance used to be shattered and at some point they replaced one of them with regular glass.

The shattered glass look is used at several Urban Outfitters locations. New York, Philly. It's all branding.

Last edited:
Since my post was deleted (not sure why). I will post again. It's a nice looking space, the aisle seating looks tight and uncomfortable though.

It was shattered long before the G20. It's part of their branding. The window is shattered at most of the Urban Outfitter's I've been to elsewhere.

http://www.quora.com/Does-every-Urban-Outfitters-have-a-shattered-window-in-its-store-front

Edit: Just saw CDL beat me to this!

I feel like I was just told Santa isn't real. That's funny I have a completely false memory implanted. I have been going to that UO since I was a teen, but never noticed the shattered glass until the day of G20 walking up Yonge, taking pictures of broken stuff... guess I was not looking for broken things prior to that and then just lumped it into that general experience.

next you are all going to tell me that the tooth fairy isn't real.

Citizen, don't let anyone tell you that Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy aren't real. Why they're just as real as John Tory's commitment to proper transit planning over politically motivated decision making. Now lay down your head and think of burbling streams and singing birdies while I help go Robin stuff himself into his new costume.

I really hope this place stays here. If it's a destination restaurant--somewhere people suss out and go to because of what it is--then it can certainly survive. But if it doesn't reach that venerable status, this location isn't necessarily an easy one to bring in foot traffic.

Back