Toronto Broadview Hotel | 28.65m | 7s | Streetcar | ERA Architects

I also believe that (for existing buildings) the City inspectors respond to complaints. Most bar patrons are unlikely to call 311 to say that they think there is a missing support beam. I think the only other time the City reacts is if the structural problems are plainly visible on the outside (although even then it still requires someone to draw it to their attention, although it's probably a more likely scenario than someone noticing interior issues).

I also believe that (for existing buildings) the City inspectors respond to complaints. Most bar patrons are unlikely to call 311 to say that they think there is a missing support beam. I think the only other time the City reacts is if the structural problems are plainly visible on the outside (although even then it still requires someone to draw it to their attention, although it's probably a more likely scenario than someone noticing interior issues).

You may be right but wouldn't health inspectors have to pass through on a regular basis? The place was licensed, served food and also rented rooms. Surely somebody would have noticed, no?

In any case, it no longer matters. Nobody was hurt and that's a good thing.

It depends how noticeable the structural problems were. Not everyone can eye a room and notice that support beams are missing.

But, yes, nobody was hurt, and we didn't have another sad Walnut Hall situation on our hands.

Talked to someone from ERA recently and he/she let me in on a little story that the building was very much close to collapsing for a few weeks when Jilly's initially closed last year. Apparently the bar had removed support beams over the years for 'better views' of the stage. Couple this with constant streetcar shaking and the existing support beams were literally crumbling behind the mirrors they were covered with. One night all the mirrors started smashing and the rest is history.

Yep, it was like that for at least a couple of months before it closed. There were plenty of temporary support jacks holding up the second floor and above between the room with the stage and the adjacent room beside Broadview Av. Some more stories on that:

"I read Jilly’s was closing because the owners had removed a wall, leading to structural damage they could not afford to repair. Sure enough, I was right in front of the steel support beams helping to keep the building up. I was a little nervous."
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/4633848-my-first-and-last-visit-to-jilly-s/

"Inside, the walls are already exposed, 40 or so support beams (apparently serious structural concerns need addressing), plumbing visible and electrical wires dangling"
https://nowtoronto.com/news/one-last-wild-ride-at-jillys/

Pretty sketchy.

The building was ordered closed in November 2013 with an order to remedy an unsafe building notice issued

MMaJ3tt.jpg

They've taken out a bunch of the windows so you can clearly see inside. Man it looks incredible. Looks like they gutted even the floors and the buildings exterior is being held up by internal bracing.

That's great that this is getting done already, I guess they had to move fast to ensure that it didn't fall down. I don't get to see this building very often since moving out of the Beaches.

Back