Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

It's confirmed.

Confirmed by who? This does not seem to match some of the other possible news about this project:

yin yang on SSC said:
i know the son of the CEO at lanterra. he purchased something on bay recently, but is not sure it is possible to build higher than FCP. probably not.

With all the new high-end hotel product coming online, now does seem like a good time for a condo conversion. The location of this hotel, while not terrible, was also never the greatest. It used to get a lot of use by Queen's Park, but it's now considered too expensive for government use, and it's too far from Yorkville.

ya, that property is HUGE. does anyone know what was there before? i thought (might be wrong) that it was where someone was going to build an opera house designed by Mosh Safdie a long time ago, but then again maybe thats not right.

Yeah, I asked about this on here a while ago. I forget the thread now...Regardless, not sure what was there before (I'd assume just residential), but Bob Rae when he was premier (I believe) was going to go ahead with an opera house here, but it got squashed in times of greater austerity. You can find pics of it online if you look around. (They should be on this website if you can find the thread I was in asking about this).

Yeah, I asked about this on here a while ago. I forget the thread now...Regardless, not sure what was there before (I'd assume just residential), but Bob Rae when he was premier (I believe) was going to go ahead with an opera house here, but it got squashed in times of greater austerity. You can find pics of it online if you look around. (They should be on this website if you can find the thread I was in asking about this).

Is this what you're talking about?

20101118-balletopera.jpg

From Unbuilt Toronto (which is a fantastic read)

@Urbanation is confirming on twitter that it is indeed the Sutton Place Hotel which is to be converted to condos......

Hey all! I was hoping to post more than a tweet after last nights "Huge huge huge new from Lanterra on a new project coming to Bay st!"...and finally got around to it today - http://savelblogs.com/lanterra-to-convert-the-sutton-place-hotel-on-bay-st

Basically, they finalized the purchase of the hotel on Friday and will be converting it similar to the revamping of the Four Seasons in Yorkville. It's going to be a busy year for the company in 2012!

great blog post! Interesting, quite a few people were worried that we were getting too many new hotel rooms, with the addition of the 'big four' - Ritz Carlton,Trump, Four Seasons & Shangri-La - but when you subtract out the old Four Seasons and now the Sutton Place, the total hotel rooms added to TO's inventory will be very small.....mostly it just results in an upgrade of quality..

great blog post! Interesting, quite a few people were worried that we were getting too many new hotel rooms, with the addition of the 'big four' - Ritz Carlton,Trump, Four Seasons & Shangri-La - but when you subtract out the old Four Seasons and now the Sutton Place, the total hotel rooms added to TO's inventory will be very small.....mostly it just results in an upgrade of quality..

Don't forget the Delta down by southcore. I wonder what will happen with the Delta on Gerrard.

I always loved the windows at the front of Sutton. Can't explain why.

sutton-place-hotel-toronto.jpeg

Sad to see the Sutton Place hotel/complex closing down for yet more condos..hate it.:mad:

Correct me if i'm wrong but weren't most units in the Sutton converted to appartments a while ago? I've been told by others in the hotel industry that less then half the units were actually for the hotel.

Sutton Place might need a new hotel now?

Well they previously sold 2 older hotels, i believe in Edmonton and Vancouver. The Toronto and Chicago have been for sale for a while.
I think they're just getting out of the hotel business.

Back