Toronto Bridgepoint Hospital | 61.87m | 10s | Bridgepoint Health | Diamond Schmitt

OMB rules Riverdale half-round building must go
Bridgepoint Health's new building design features made a priority

www.insidetoronto.ca/to/b...?loc=beach
JOANNA LAVOIE
Feb. 1, 2007

It was either lose Riverdale Hospital's half-round building or maintain a much-needed complex chronic health care facility in east Toronto.

Faced with that choice, the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) rendered a decision on Jan. 29 to reject the appeals of the Citizens for Riverdale Hospital (CRH) group and various other opponents of the plan and approve the redevelopment of the Bridgepoint Health site, located near Broadview Avenue and Gerrard Street.

"The Don Jail and the Half Round both can't remain in the Bridgepoint master plan," said Ward 30 Councillor Paula Fletcher (Toronto-Danforth), noting the OMB had a difficult decision to make.

"Sometimes decisions are very tough and this is the toughest decision I would have to make about a building in my ward. No decisions were made lightly."

Fletcher said she "would have liked nothing better than to have everything fit on the site and have a hospital," in her community but is pleased the OMB is calling for the future design features of the new buildings to be of the highest quality.

Like Fletcher, MPP Peter Tabuns (Toronto-Danforth) said the decision was a bittersweet one.

"It's one of these decisions where people are going to be glad the hospital's staying there and, like me, are very unhappy the half-round will be gone," said Tabuns, noting the citizens groups made some strong arguments.

"They really put their heart in to it. It's good to see people really care."

Bridgepoint Health's master plan includes tearing down the existing half-round building on the site and replacing it with a 12-storey state-of-the art complex chronic care hospital as well as a second building with 169 long-term care beds. A community park is part of the project, as are three new eight-storey office/residential buildings.

The historic Don Jail building will be used for administrative purposes and two other historically significant edifices, the Governor's House and Gatekeepers House, will also be retained.

"The OMB decision in our favour marks another important milestone for our staff, patients, family members and the community," said a source at Bridgepoint Health who didn't want to be identified.

She added the redevelopment means the creation of a new "world class" facility for complex chronic disease and disabilities such as AIDS, diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis and brain injuries.

"We very much believe and support the OMB process. We look forward to moving ahead in partnership with the city and the province in building the best hospital for the people we serve."

And while Bridgepoint Health is pleased with the decision, Davis Mirza, a local resident who made a presentation at the hearing on behalf of a group called the Half-Round Artists Collective, said he finds the OMB decision "cold" and "heartless."

"They're sacrificing the half-round and the trees so they can build a service road," said Mirza, who has a special fondness for the half-round's rotunda space, which he utilized to put on a play a few years back with Community Head Injury Resource Services during Brain Injury Awareness Month.

"It's sad. It's really sad. Our arguments were acknowledged by the board but weren't addressed as a factor in the final decision," said Mirza, who even put up an online petition against tearing down the half round.

Mirza, whose focuses are the artistic and healing values of the half-round building as well as the negative environmental impacts of the site's redevelopment, said the decision is simply a lack of "smart planning".

Like many in the community, Mirza said maintaining a local health care facility is a priority.

Yesterday afternoon Mirza, representatives from Citizens for Riverdale Hospital, architects and planners were invited to meet with Ward 20 Councillor Adam Vaughan (Trinity-Spadina) to share their concerns and discuss what future steps could occur.

Two mediation sessions held at the land-use tribunal this past summer between Bridgepoint Health and Citizens for Riverdale Hospital failed to reach a compromise, which inevitably led to the OMB hearing that began Nov. 6. The hearing wrapped up on Jan. 12 and the decision was issued this week.

For more information about Bridgepoint Health's plan visit www.bridgepointhealth.ca and click on the redevelopment tab.

That's ridiculous. They're tearing down the half-round for the "Office/Residential" buildings. The new and old hospital footprints don't overlap at all. The building is being demolished for a million dollars (at most) of commercial development money.

This is sad news indeed, another nice piece of Toronto sacrificed for expediency. Shame on Bridgepoint Health for its disrespect of its neighbours and for its lack of vision. How hard could it be to renew that nice building instead of destroying it?

This is a big site. Bridgepoint can do all it needs to do to finance a nice new building without trashing a piece with beauty. Shame Bridgepoint Shame.

The shame is that Bridgepoint is squandering all of the incredible goodwill it could have had for its plans to restore the Don Jail. On the other hand, the Bridgepoint board's attitude is likely "These heritage types are never satisfied. We're spending a fortune to restore the jail and all they do is complain about demolishing this obsolete hospital."

at this point it would be pretty easy for the Board to turn it around. They could capitulate and be preservation heros instead. No amount of good work on the Don Jail will out that damn spot on their reputation should the proceed and destroy the old obsolete hospital. The old obsolete hospital has nice views that pretty much anyone could enjoy, and there is plenty of other space on that site to make their money.

Bridgepoint to Nowhere

Obsolescence in hospitals is extremely subjective. We have much older hospitals in the city that are top-notch. Many of the great hospitals around the world are decades, sometimes centuries older than Riverdale.
Usually hospitals are declared obsolete by consultants who stand to gain from the design of a new facility or by administrators with an edifice complext (very common in Canada, especially among politicians).
I was a hospital design researcher for a couple of years with an explicit goal of studying obsolescence. It's almost always a paper tiger.
That this building happens to be beautiful and have an amazing relationship with its site only adds to the shame of the Bridgepoint decision. Hopefully the appeal court will overturn the OMB.

I've heard that demolition has now begun. The beloved round building is still standing, but the buildings around it are being demolished which means that it's probably only a matter of time.

I'm surprised that they're going with KPMB. I didn't realize they were concerned with decent architecture.

Well, isn't "decent architecture" usually used as a Trojan horse in such cases?

As far as the half-round goes: I suspect that as long as it's a functioning hospital facility, it's staying...

Most important to me -- the Don Jail goes

I spoke with a lady doctor at the hospital last year (the annual Canada Day blowout in Riverdale Park) and she said that the biggest problem with the hospital is what makes it cool -- the curved hallways and many internal supporting walls mean that they can't renovate the place to current standards. If we want a hospital on that site, it needs to be a new building.

But to me, the thing that gets lost in all this is the fact the truly ugly jail comes down. I'm willing to sacrifice the half-round to save the historic jail. And I'm willing to sacrifice just about anything on that site to stop the killings at the corner of Broadview & Gerrard by guys tracking each down after visitors' hours.

When the jail does close, where will these prisoners be sent?

But to me, the thing that gets lost in all this is the fact the truly ugly jail comes down. I'm willing to sacrifice the half-round to save the historic jail.

buyorkilldog_thumb1.jpg

Back