Toronto Boutique Condos | 106.37m | 35s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

• Thread starter superdeduperawesome
  • Start date
S

superdeduperawesome

I was walking by Nelson st. and there is some major digging happening between Simcoe and Duncan.

Anybody have an idea what's going on there?

yep, it is Boutique. i didn't realize that the first phase only goes from the Toronto Hydro substation over to just west of where the sales office is. the land the sales office is on is for phase 2, the proposal for which has been turned down by the city.

my office overlooks the site, i'll try and snap a pic next week

the land the sales office is on is for phase 2, the proposal for which has been turned down by the city.

not entirely true - the 20s tower shown in the renderings is approved however the developers recently submitted a new application for 36 storeys which didn't do so well

Nelson St.

With Shangri-La going up across the street, it's difficult to imagine that there is a height or shadow issue

Some pictures would be great as it goes up!

And the shadow issue does seem a bit ridiculous considering the shangri la going up.

126 Simcoe Street

I find this laughable - this is across the street from Shangri-la:

Refusal recommended for Simcoe Street proposal—

Report deferred from the March 9 meeting recommending
refusal of an application for a residential condominium
building at 126 Simcoe Street, between Adelaide Street
West and Nelson Street
. The applicant proposes a 35-
storey, 106.5-m. building
, which is 75 per cent greater than
the existing permitted height for the site. Staff indicated
that the height and massing of the proposal is inconsistent
with the King-Spadina Secondary Plan, which would have an
unacceptable impact on the public realm.

Unreal. I wonder if "Staff" have ever even left Toronto and travelled to other cities where highrises have not led to the destruction of the public realm.

i think this building is a good transition from the 65 story shangrila to the shorter(20 storey like boutique)buildings.

This would be the 20 storey Boutique building. The developers want to build it much higher now.

The planning department has drawn a line down the middle of Simcoe Street - on the west side of it they want only midrise, to preserve the character of the warehousy Entertainment District. They don't want transition there.

This will go to the OMB.

Anyway, this topic was already on-the-go, so I have merged some threads here.

I'm sure the OMB will approve it. I like that the OMB usually approves height increases.

Question ...

... anybody know how the large metal tubes (images 4/5/6) figure into the overall construction/design of the building? I don't recall seeing these things at any of the other sites in the downtown area and I'm curious as to what they're for and why they'd be arranged in this manner.

Boutique.jpg

Boutique1.jpg

Boutique2.jpg

Boutique3.jpg

Boutique5.jpg

Boutique6.jpg

Interesting. The steel is there to keep the sides of the hole from caving in. Typically the sides are held in place by anchors drilled into the surrounding earth at regular intervals. My guess is that they chose this system to not risk interrupting buried hydro lines leading to the transformer station next door.

I saw pictures of a building under construction in Chicago that used the same kind of construction. I wondered what they were all for. They weren't lined up the same way though.

Back