Toronto The Bond | 138.68m | 42s | Lifetime | Core Architects COMPLETE

Quality of Life should be pretty high down there.

100 walk score. 100 transit score. Out of date rating on the bike score as 57 has been arrived at without taking into account the new Adelaide, Richmond, or nearby Simcoe bike lanes. There are a ton of restaurants in the area, more groceries are coming to the area, lots of fashion shops up on Queen. Movies theatres abound in the area, live theatres and Roy Thomson Hall are all nearby. Places of employment are all around. The area does need more green space.

What's the Quality of Life concern?

Yeah, someone with concerns over a poorly design shoebox sharing ownership with 400 other shoeboxes densely packed with dozens of other 400+ shoebox towers must be of the type that wants a two car garage in Barrie. I guess I am too. Never again would I want to live in that environment. Wouldn't know what to do with the garage though. Neither a hoarder or car owner and I can afford to be both.

Quality of Life should be pretty high down there.

100 walk score. 100 transit score. Out of date rating on the bike score as 57 has been arrived at without taking into account the new Adelaide, Richmond, or nearby Simcoe bike lanes. There are a ton of restaurants in the area, more groceries are coming to the area, lots of fashion shops up on Queen. Movies theatres abound in the area, live theatres and Roy Thomson Hall are all nearby. Places of employment are all around. The area does need more green space.

What's the Quality of Life concern?

That's all very nice, but if the sidewalks become so crowded that you have to elbow your way through, if the streets become completely gridlocked most of the day, if every bar or restaurant has a 1 hour wait list for a seat because they are so busy, if the streetcars are too unreliable, jam packed and so slow that it's faster to just walk, if not enough greenspace is being built for the growing population, then how is that not a concern if this rate of intensification continues well into the future? I'm not anti-growth nor a suburbanite, but the Annex or neighbourhoods west of Spadina are generally more liveable. Liberty Village or Humber Bay...not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Crowded sidewalks are good, and streets are for people.

Nobody is saying we don't need things like parks and transit. But density is also good.

Technology and alternate modes of transportation will make mega-density much more tenable. The idea of having only one "ground" level will eventually be a historical relic.

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 741
  • IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 759
  • IMG_4470.JPG
    IMG_4470.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 811
Agreed, but it's not as simple as that. The site sizing only yields an average tower floor plate of +/- 570sm which, while acceptable for some who will recoup costs with better finishes and higher prices, isn't seen as a desirable enough size on which to make a decent return.

Here's roughly how it might lay out (if everything is followed to a T). On the left is The Bond, the right Hooters:

Hooters Site.JPG

Attachments

• Hooters Site.JPG
    Hooters Site.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 720
Tall building guidelines are just that, guidelines. On sites like these I doubt the city would force a floor plate that small and would give a few metres of wiggle room, especially to the north against the scotiabank centre which isn't a tower and is unlikely to redevelop.

I'm actually liking this one more than I thought I would from the renders. I like that the glass is a more vibrant tinted glass than the other towers nearby. And the narrow street front and stepped up podium is kinda nice. Looks good from a pedestrian street view.

Back