Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

My guess is at least one Leafs game per season.

Based on what? It's very difficult to secure regular season outdoor games, and I can't see this happening even close to that often, though I would be happy to see evidence that proves otherwise.

Based on what? It's very difficult to secure regular season outdoor games, and I can't see this happening even close to that often, though I would be happy to see evidence that proves otherwise.

That's the only way to explain why MLSE were willing to spend this much money on this iteration of stadium renovation.

MLSE doesn't own the Argos (and the expansion was happening with or without the Argos anyways). Plus the Grey Cups won't come around often enough.

TFC didn't need another expansion of seating.

The NHL is allowing more and more outdoor games.

Its the only logical explanation for this renovation from a financial perspective.

Its the only logical explanation for this renovation from a financial perspective.

Sure, there have been more outdoor games, but I think the promise of 1 home game per year in hopes that this trend would continue is hardly a financial basis for a major addition. They were selling out the odd game and didn't have enough of the crazy-lucrative loge boxes. Fans were bailing on games when the weather was poor. Demand seems like a far more obvious explanation. The odd outdoor NHL game was probably just seen as a bonus.

My guess is at least one Leafs game per season.

I highly doubt that.....we are, what, 14 seasons into the outdoor game era.....1 team in that time has hosted 2 (I think) and Chicago used two different stadiums for each game......it is a big deal to mount these things....the fact that the Leafs ownership controls a stadium may make them a candidate to host them more frequently....but the league tries really hard to limit the number of outdoor games per season (6 has been the max, there were 3 this season and 4 next....and next year is a year of inordinate sentimental/ceremonial/celebration importance in the league) and allowing 1 team to have a game every year will probably not go over well with the other teams that get told "no" in any given season.

Every other year, maybe, every 4th year more likely....but you still have to convince the league.

The Grey Cups are an added bonus. But not as important.

We are going to have to agree to disagree.....they are both factors....there have been 103 Grey Cups.......2 in cities that can't host any more (Sarnia and Kingston).....of the other 101....47 of them have been held in Toronto....the league likes having the games here for a variety of reasons. After this year's cup 48/102 Grey Cups have been in Toronto....at the end of 2016, Toronto will have hosted as many Grey Cups in the 21st century than Regina (arguably the hotbed of CFL) has in the history of the Grey Cup.

If you would bet on annual outdoor Leaf games, I would bet that 20 years from now there will have been more Grey Cups at BMO Field than outdoor Leaf games.

People don't seem to understand that the whole outdoor game gimmick is for the US and not Canada. Even with their centennial year and talking about hosting the Winter Classic since 2013 they had to settle for the Centennial Classic.

Another thing people don't seem to understand is that the Leafs don't really have much sway in the inner circle of the NHL. Guys like the late Ed Snider and Jeremy Jacobs have/had much more sway then the Leafs. I think it was only recently that Tanenbaum was added to the Executive committee.

The idea that the Leafs will host an outdoor game every year is ridiculous. Every team wants to host an outdoor game and many have been told no multiple times. The best I can see is the Leafs getting a game every 5 years and even that seems not likely with the NHL wanting to cut down on the number of outdoor games every year with the falling ratings for outdoor games.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showt...ction-thread&p=1791413&viewfull=1#post1791413

Cgx6paNUgAE6ahm

CgxMJpCUoAA3oFc.jpg

CgySfMhU4AAcu-T

Photo dump from before and after today's Marlie game
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

They were using the new stadium grow lightning which was interesting. Will really help next year when we play home games during March.

What we originally though was going be a new giant logo (potentially Argos) near the south stand ended up being an extension of the red cladding used along the east grandstand which makes me happy, more red the better

Looks like there's also plenty of work still to do around the stadium, they'll probably be working till the deadline and hide all the garbage in a corner like last year.

Took one quick photo since I notice a bunch of works on the other side of stadium, i think they saw me but I was out of their quick

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2,061
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,088
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,041
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,073
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,068
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,033
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,032
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,003
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,018
Great pics (including the sleuthy one); thanks. I wish they'd opted for something other than taupe on those few non-red-clad exterior bits...

Also, looks like they're cutting this one really close to the start of the season.

What we originally though was going be a new giant logo (potentially Argos) near the south stand ended up being an extension of the red cladding used along the east grandstand which makes me happy, more red the better

That makes me smile. I was getting worried there for a bit. :)

Looking good. I'm not a big CFL fan myself but I can't wait to see the Argos finally back there in June.

Back