Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

TFC fans are so entitled... It's not your stadium, no matter how much you say it is. It's city-owned and you have to share with the other children.
It was supposed to be the National Soccer Stadium. Now we're to have a bunch of padded grunts mashing up the rather tidy pitch making that whole idea a joke. It's ok, as idiot-slaves to MLSE we're quite used to being disappointed. Always fun ruining a good thing though, eh?
Birchmount Stadium would fit the Argos just fine.

It was supposed to be the National Soccer Stadium. Now we're to have a bunch of padded grunts mashing up the rather tidy pitch making that whole idea a joke. It's ok, as idiot-slaves to MLSE we're quite used to being disappointed. Always fun ruining a good thing though, eh?
Among other multi-purpose uses, it was supposed to accomodate Canadian football, something David Miller readily admits, and he'd know better than anyone. Then MLSE, the CSA and the mayor pulled a fast one to shut out football, though conveniently Miller pretends he doesn't know where the bodies are buried and pleads ignorance.

Funny how the padded grunts never complained years ago when the Jays and then the Blizzard played at Exhibition Stadium, but a similar arrangement is beneath saintly TFC fans. BMO has also hosted rugby for years, which is arguably less friendly to your tidy pitch than football. Where is the outcry over that?

Well, rugby's a real sport, for one.

.........if you haven't noticed, we're not a very friendly bunch.

A perfectly manicured field isn't a requirement for a 90 minute light jog.

Looking forward to going to the new stadium. How will the new stadium enclose the space and change the feeling of the events? That's what I want to know. Also, anyone who has been there knows that often the issue is more about wind (as I've mentioned earlier in this thread). How will the roof minimize this? I could see half the stands being soaked anyways when it rains because of the driving wind coming off the lake.

i just can't wait till it is open and in use so all this pettiness on both sides can go away

You think it will go away?

Wait till the first soccer game with a crappy pitch ruined by football. That will be a shit show for sure.

You think it will go away?

Wait till the first soccer game with a crappy pitch ruined by football. That will be a shit show for sure.
see...I happen to believe it is all a red herring and with the modern pitch technology and the gaps between games we will be shown that it is not an issue.

Just as I believe that Argo fans will come to realize that watching a game from a seat that is either red, white or grey is not an issue and needing blue seats is not so much an necessity.

see...I happen to believe it is all a red herring and with the modern pitch technology and the gaps between games we will be shown that it is not an issue.QUOTE]

They haven't implemented any special pitch technologies. They talked about it originally but it looked like a classic bait and switch from MLSE in the end.

They seem to just be hoping that it will work out.

And don't even get me started on the potential conflict this year with both CFL and MLS playoff dates.

They haven't implemented any special pitch technologies. They talked about it originally but it looked like a classic bait and switch from MLSE in the end.

They did not implement the original Desso "hybrid" technology....what they did, instead, was opt for a multiple pitch approach....where they have multiple pitches identical to BMO growing in different locations and if need be they can repair the pitch if damage occurs that cannot be repaired during the average, what, 8 days between CFL and MLS matches.

But the real pick up in technology was already there.....i get very tired of my fellow TFC supporters tweeting/posting pictures of the mud bowl grey cup game as if there have been no advancements in drainage systems. The modern pitch (and BMO is very much modern in this regard) drains far better than in those days. You go to the matches....surely you have seen many matches played on days when there was heavy rain in the morning.....but by match time the pitch is bone dry and, in fact, needed watering at half time to control the bounce of the ball. Water just does not sit on this pitch and the prospect of mud bowl type damage is so remote that it is not worth worrying about.

Back