Toronto Bloor & Dufferin | 122.35m | 37s | Hazelview | Turner Fleischer

It seems like the unjustified 42 stories at the Galleria redevelopment is being used a precedent for 47 satires at Dufferin/ Bloor.
Plan looks great for a first submission, but wouldn't mind 10 storey reduction of the 2 tallest towers.

I was expecting (and fine with) a peak of 30 stories here, but 47 is a bit much. Feels like they paid a lot for the property and are trying to cram in a lot of units to make their margins.

I'm glad to see a bit of a plaza at the corner of Bloor & Dufferin as a gateway to the neighbourhood, but the Kent school really feels overpowered and boxed-in by all those big-ass podiums.

Feels like they paid a lot for the property and are trying to cram in a lot of units to make their margins.

Developers want to maximize profit regardless of how much they paid for the property. The idea -as always- is to get away with as much as you can, as opposed to simply charging a premium on top of your costs.

I don't really know how section 37 benefits work but if they are going for 47 stories here there should be some serious improvements to the area. And I'm not talking about a haphazard refurbishment of Dufferin Grove Park.

I don't really know how section 37 benefits work but if they are going for 47 stories here there should be some serious improvements to the area. And I'm not talking about a haphazard refurbishment of Dufferin Grove Park.

Be nice to see improvements to Brockton Stadium – accessible, better seating & lighting, modernized running track surface, open to the public at least some of the time.

The-Existing-Site-1-1195x1200.jpg

legend.jpg

Too much crammed into this site. Drop one of the towers, pull the buildings on Dufferin back to align with Kent School, maybe drop a couple of podium levels, then we're talking.

It would be nice to see an underground/weather protected connection from this development to Dufferin Station and expand Dufferin mall north to extend the connection.

Yes, that would be nice,.... but surprisingly I can't even find any evidence of direct subway connection in their architectural map of their P1 & P2 parking level.

It seems they expect us to exit Dufferin Station's Russett Ave exit (90m west of Dufferin), jay walk across Bloor Street (no signalized intersection within 200m of each other), and use their proposed canopy along new proposed north-south public access street with "activity zone" to get to Croatia Street and then risk life and limb crossing Dufferin Mall's parking lot to get to the mall.

Note: a direct subway connection to Dufferin Station's Russett Ave exit seems easier to do than to Dufferin Station's main entrance.

Yes, that would be nice,.... but surprisingly I can't even find any evidence of direct subway connection in their architectural map of their P1 & P2 parking level.

It seems they expect us to exit Dufferin Station's Russett Ave exit (90m west of Dufferin), jay walk across Bloor Street (no signalized intersection within 200m of each other), and use their proposed canopy along new proposed north-south public access street with "activity zone" to get to Croatia Street and then risk life and limb crossing Dufferin Mall's parking lot to get to the mall.

Note: a direct subway connection to Dufferin Station's Russett Ave exit seems easier to do than to Dufferin Station's main entrance.
Connecting to the Russett exits might be challenging since they are separate (E and W, on either side of the street, and the Westbound exit is a bit up the street, not right on Bloor).

The main station has a dead end wall facing south (near the elevator) that seems intentionally left for a future connection under Bloor Street. But I haven't seen any official acknowledgement of that.

Connecting to the Russett exits might be challenging since they are separate (E and W, on either side of the street, and the Westbound exit is a bit up the street, not right on Bloor).

The main station has a dead end wall facing south (near the elevator) that seems intentionally left for a future connection under Bloor Street. But I haven't seen any official acknowledgement of that.

WestEndBoy,... You Sir, seem to be very, very correct!

I take it you're referring to this colourful wall,... on (mezzanine) pay collector concourse level at south-end by elevator directly under the wait area for southbound bus.
Dufferin16243719316_87f094b687_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/castelmar/16243719316

Interestingly, behind that colourful "knock-out" wall, seems to be an empty room? mechanical room, vent room, etc,... in the above photo, the grey door opposite the elevator might lead to the room in question, the grey door has a black label tag near the top,... which *might* indicate what's inside this room!,... hmmmm,....
Dufferin-post3.jpg

http://bgoldenco.com/portfolio/dufferin-station/
http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/dufferin-station-modernization

For this proposal, P2 resident parking doesn't seem as promising,... but the adjacent northeast corner of P1 Visitor Parking Level look like this, currently no TTC direct connection tunnel but public "Galleria Access" elevators and stairways from southwest of Bloor and Dufferin - P1 level corner Mech room is probably vent room and lockers can be moved around to make room for underground pedestrian tunnel access:
IMG_5774.JPG

Obviously direct subway connection would help developer sell for higher premium price (about 15% more). The cost of an underground pedestrian subway tunnel here might be around $15 million including TTC connection fees and all. So why didn't developer draw it in? Likely still under negotiation with TTC or at least kicking the tires, also might try to negotiate some of the cost into Section 37 Community Benefits,... this proposal is still very early in development application and will likely take about 2 years for settlement and final report,... longer if OMB,...

Note: Since physically the Bloor-Danforth subway line is usually north of Bloor & Danforth (Sherbourne Station exception), there's usually no underground pedestrian connection from south side (Manulife Centre at Bloor-Bay is more underground PATH connection - southeast corner of Yonge-Bloor at Hayden St is for Yonge line),... thus, this development might be the first development with direct TTC connection along south side of Bloor or Danforth.

Attachments

• Dufferin16243719316_87f094b687_b.jpg
    Dufferin16243719316_87f094b687_b.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 657
  • Dufferin-post3.jpg
    Dufferin-post3.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_5774.JPG
    IMG_5774.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 639
WestEndBoy,... You Sir, seem to be very, very correct!

I take it you're referring to this colourful wall,... on (mezzanine) pay collector concourse level at south-end by elevator directly under the wait area for southbound bus.
View attachment 122837
https://www.flickr.com/photos/castelmar/16243719316

Interestingly, behind that colourful "knock-out" wall, seems to be an empty room? mechanical room, vent room, etc,... in the above photo, the grey door opposite the elevator might lead to the room in question, the grey door has a black label tag near the top,... which *might* indicate what's inside this room!,... hmmmm,....
View attachment 122838
http://bgoldenco.com/portfolio/dufferin-station/
http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/dufferin-station-modernization

For this proposal, P2 resident parking doesn't seem as promising,... but the adjacent northeast corner of P1 Visitor Parking Level look like this, currently no TTC direct connection tunnel but public "Galleria Access" elevators and stairways from southwest of Bloor and Dufferin - P1 level corner Mech room is probably vent room and lockers can be moved around to make room for underground pedestrian tunnel access:
View attachment 122839

Obviously direct subway connection would help developer sell for higher premium price (about 15% more). The cost of an underground pedestrian subway tunnel here might be around $15 million including TTC connection fees and all. So why didn't developer draw it in? Likely still under negotiation with TTC or at least kicking the tires, also might try to negotiate some of the cost into Section 37 Community Benefits,... this proposal is still very early in development application and will likely take about 2 years for settlement and final report,... longer if OMB,...

Note: Since physically the Bloor-Danforth subway line is usually north of Bloor & Danforth (Sherbourne Station exception), there's usually no underground pedestrian connection from south side (Manulife Centre at Bloor-Bay is more underground PATH connection - southeast corner of Yonge-Bloor at Hayden St is for Yonge line),... thus, this development might be the first development with direct TTC connection along south side of Bloor or Danforth.

Great set of images sunnyray! It does seem very possible to make the link. Will hopefully happen as it would be a much safer way for throngs of people to access the new development as opposed to crossing at the lights. It's such a busy intersection and cars are a bit wild.

I'm just looking through the submission docs, and wondering...

In the transportation study part 1, on pg 34, I think it's predicting 240 cars heading out during the peak hour. Does this seem low to anyone else? I know the study is saying with access to transit there will be fewer cars on balance, anecdotally I think downtown condo owners drive more than people would think.

The data used in the computer models that estimate what traffic a new project will generate is based on observation of existing conditions, it's not created out of thin air.

Back