News   May 13, 2024
 594     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 960     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 723     0 

Toronto Bike Share

It shouldn't expand to Eglinton station as an alternative to the subway, it should be there to reach the destinations about a kilometre or so away from the station.

This is what is perplexing about the Danforth stations. They're good to get along the Danforth, but they serve no last mile purposes at all. We need to pepper docks around them so people can actually use them as a last mile, or to get to the shops on Pape, or the apartments on Cosburn, or the hospital on Coxwell, etc.

Worth saying, the one dock north of Danforth IS the hospital site.

Montreal just hauls a trailer of bikes back up the hill. I think the problem is that it's "uphill both ways" to some extent. Even going "downhill", there's one uphill section south of Davisville and another south of Summerhill. That would probably kill demand quite a bit, even during the subway closures.
Meh, those hills you can gain some velocity going downhill before pedeling uphill. It is not as much of a dealbreaker for me anyway.

Bikeshare should hit 1million this year for sure.

https://twitter.com/bikeshareTO/status/816654503093137408

C1VW8BFWgAErS8M.jpg:large

Shouldn't there be another expansion happening this year since they got $1.25 million of federal funding as of Jan 1, 2017?

Living along the Richmond/Adelaide bike corridor, I'm tempted to get a membership to quickly get across town. Too bad N/S isn't as straight forward.

Will they be putting bikeshare near the crosstown stations? The service is very good however it can take quite a while to go through all the pages to get a bike, thats why I think Presto Integration is key.

Portlands Bikeshare is worht taking a look at when I was there last it had just opened and rather than being centralized around stations (stations on Portlands system are just branded racks) people can choose to leave there bike locked anywhere for a small surcharge (locks built into bikes). Perhaps the most interesting feature is that riders receive credit for bring bikes not docked at stations back to them, very smart.
As discussed earlier in this thread this is similar to the system in Hamilton. See https://hamilton.socialbicycles.com/

If I'm a member, can I use a smartphone app to unlock a bike or do I have to have a key? I don't carry any keys (or wallet) whatsoever. Having to carry a BIXI key on the chance that I might need one kind of defeats the casual use purpose of the service for me.

Will they be putting bikeshare near the crosstown stations?

As usual, my opinion is worth what you paid for it. The Crosstown is still (*sigh*) four years in the future and putting bike depots at those stations would be consistent with the expansion of 2016.

But it's a much different prospect and I want to say, "I doubt it" or "Much more dubious prospect."

1. Four years to go, so first priority should be westward to Roncesvalles and along the Lakeshore West. If they are brave, then into the Bloor West Village.
2. Second - easterly along Lakeshore East, Dundas East, and Gerrard.
3. East/West in the city - downtown at least - is an easy ride - no major hills. It's also an easy ride (way) farther north - like Sheppard. Mid-town - St Clair and Eglinton - you have to (somehow) get over the Don Valley and this involves discontinuous streets and hills.
4. This works downtown. Where (a lot of) young people live. Whether this works in older less dense neighbourhoods along Eglinton is a much more iffy prospect.
5. Going north and sough north of Bloor / Danforth involves some significant hills on some routes. This makes the ride harder and more dangerous as I can't see people (casusal riders) coasting safely - for example - down Avenue Hill or Yonge Street. Sure the traffic is busy in the downtown, but the ride is mostly flat.
6. If there are depots at Crosstown stations, I wonder if a lot of the traffic will be local and east - west along Eglinton to avoid the hills and the issues that I speculated about above.

My two cents for a Sunday morning.

Yes - you can use the transit application for iPhone....

https://www.bikesharetoronto.com/how-it-works/get-the-app

It works really well...

You don't even need an annual membership to use that. You can create a bikeshare account and use it in the transit time for the $7/24h and $15/72h rentals, which saves you the time of using the kiosk and having to re-enter your personal details/insert a credit card every single time. It's a much bigger bonus for people without a membership than people with one.

Back