News   Apr 17, 2024
 897     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto Bike Share

Offtopic, but I did have the temerity to put most Ham issues into a combined thread (Hamilton General), something you disagreed with.

In retrospect, you're hypocritically implying I should have created "Hamilton 2-Way Road Traffic Thread", "Hamilton SoBi Thread", "Hamilton Cycle Paths Thread". There is simply some overflow into other areas such as this one and GO threads. GO covers Kitchener, Barrie, Hamilton, Oshawa, and we have tons of residents from these places posting here too. But you also notice I don't show up in many threads.

UrbanToronto covers the entire GHTA, and does publish Hamilton articles from time to time. I take less forumshare of UrbanToronto forums as a member percentage (Ham:TO population ratio), though I may be noisier than the usual forum member showing up in the GO threads more than the Hurontario LRT thread, for example.

If UrbanToronto wants to reorganize a little, I'll heed.

Last edited:
It's not the thread organization I was objecting to. It's your incessant need to highlight how much better Hamilton is at stuff, in what is probably the correct thread.

It's the trolling ... not the organization.

Do we need more than one mention a month of bikeshare in Hamilton, or Melbourne?

It's not the thread organization I was objecting to. It's your incessant need to highlight how much better Hamilton is at stuff
Excuse me? I toot and hate on Hamilton. To be fair, there's a lot of complaints I've posted, such as the crappy bike infrastructure, to things like the 2-way Main/King problem, and the Mountain-Lower rivalry, and the dysfunctional "Old Boys Club". Buddy, lay off.

Others both love and hate Toronto. I often compliment Toronto too, as you already know, like I did for the Union Station, Queens Quay, etc. And I talk about lots of non-Hamilton-related stuff such as high speed rail and SmartTrack (without mentioning Hamilton in those posts).

Instead remind me about my repetitiveness. That's fair game.

(In defense: The Metro post was extremely newsworthy, a Toronto newspaper, with new pertinent Toronto specific information, and it was a smaller followup. If the moderator wishes to delete the image of the Metro newspaper -- go ahead. I'm okay.)

Here's your original message, for context.
Given how much you get your back up when people make negative comments about Hamilton (whose main claim to fame these days seems to be that house prices are much cheaper ... presumably because demand is much lower). Is it necessary to troll the Toronto forums in this manner?
The history of my likes disagree with that, with many fame not related to your main claim. You must ignore many threads. Most of my posts don't even have "Hamilton" in it, a quick search of my own posts proves.

I'm done in this thread (until the next news publish or breaking Toronto Bike Share news).

Over and out.

I have no idea how your likes and dislike change over time. Not sure the relevance. I used to like marmite.

Let's hope so. Love the possibility of it integrating with Presto

Same here. It would mean one less thing to carry around! It would be great if everything transport related could adopt Presto (Taxis, Island Ferry, Parking Authority, Bixi, etc.) The amount of data the city/Province would instantly have access to would be absolutely incredible!

Same here. It would mean one less thing to carry around! It would be great if everything transport related could adopt Presto (Taxis, Island Ferry, Parking Authority, Bixi, etc.) The amount of data the city/Province would instantly have access to would be absolutely incredible!
I heard someone who appeared to be well informed say that the City has plans to integrate Presto for the Island ferry. Let's hope so

I heard someone who appeared to be well informed say that the City has plans to integrate Presto for the Island ferry. Let's hope so

Last summer I looked to see if you could buy ferry tickets online--the city's website for the ferries said yes, you could. I looked for nearly an hour and couldn't find where to actually buy them, though. Eventually called 311, got a call back from someone in the ferry department about a week later, apparently they had been scheduled to launch online ticketing then, and put up all the materials for it, but something had gone wrong and they cancelled at the last minute, but left all the material referring to it up, leading to lots of confusion.

With all the stupidity having irritated me, I wrote my city councillor, Mike Layton, about the situation and how ridiculously far behind the times the ferry ticketing was. I specifically called out how ridiculous it was not to take Presto. He agreed and said he had, in fact, been in conversations about getting that done, and that a lot of councillors have been hearing that request and that they really want it done. Hopefully it's done this decade.

Perhaps when the new ferry terminal is complete?

I have difficulty seeing it being such an intensive operation that it requires a new terminal. Why not have a single turnstile with one of the TTC presto readers? They certainly seemed able to put them up relatively quickly at Union over the years where the turnstiles/temporary entrances were changing every few weeks...they seemed to just pop up one day, never saw extensive maintenance taking a turnstile out of order for several months in order to do the installation. Can't imagine it being much harder to install a turnstile with one at the ferries, and program it with a fare table.

If it's a matter of power/networking, some of the mobile services (for instance, YRT's dial-a-ride) are now starting to accept Presto payments on a mobile device similar to the smartphones used by inspectors on the UPX and the TTC to verify Presto fare payment; at the very least, they could give that to the person checking tickets at the entrance to use until something more permanent (e.g. the new terminal) is ready.

This was done very early on with Paris's pioneering Velib system -- just tap your Navigo transit pass and you're on your way with a bike. I believe unlimited Velib is also included in the (modest) cost of a monthly pass. Really convenient and makes the bikes almost an extension of the Metro, since there's almost always a dock at every station and you can continue your journey on two wheels easily.

Back