Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I can't wait till they expand with flights to NYC.

I'll do anything to snub the expensive as hell taxis and airport limos. Factor in the $40+ taxi/limo ride even within Mississauga destination, I'd gladly factor that in when determining what flight is cheaper (pearson vs island airport).

They did mention NY as a possible expansion route, as well as other close by US cities within the turboprop's range. I take it that the island terminal would not have its own US customs location - which I think is better. I dislike having to go through US customs at Pearson, when I go extra early since I've run into extra long check lines, and then extra long US custom lines - while coming close to near heart attack fearing I would miss my flight. I either spend a lot of time waiting in line, or a lot of time at the gate if there are no lines.

Would an RT airport link To YYZ make a difference to your thinking?

Give the land over to the people of Toronto

Which island are you talking about? If you are saying Ward island, I would agree, as well as dismantling the island airport. But on one side of the Toronto islands, you have a small neighbourhood on public land that relies on human heart stories and polticians like Chow to renew long term rental contracts that the city doesn't want to renew, and benefits only a small portion of residents (even though its public land - and could benefit the city as a whole). On the other side of the Toronto islands, you have the airport that could benefit a lot more people if porter and other future companies that use these turbo props become successful.

Anyone can walk around on Ward's Island - the residents haven't built a wall around it. They pay property tax at the same mill rate as the rest of us and occupy less than 5% of the land.

Would an RT airport link To YYZ make a difference to your thinking?

Possibly a CATs link like In Vienna, to downtown Toronto (as well as connecting to GO/subway on route to downtown, or an airtrain type system like at JFK that connects just to GO stations/the BD line, then maybe.

But the island airport is way too convient. If money wasn't an issue, I'd rather they improve rail infrastructure connecting to neighbouring US cities. I've checked a couple of times (snow storms) and it seems that a train ride between NYC and Toronto takes 24 hours consistently.

Anyone can walk around on Ward's Island - the residents haven't built a wall around it. They pay property tax at the same mill rate as the rest of us and occupy less than 5% of the land.

Right, and anyone can hop on a porter plane, which is why I suggest its either both, or none. Why not allow for a subdivision to be built on centre island? People would still be able to walk around it and enjoy it the same as you can currently do on ward island.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread. But I'm sure a fixed link to the mainland regardless of whether there was an airport makes better sence than having ferries run all of the time, which would make both cost sense (I am hypothesiszing, I don't know the $$$), and make the islands more accessible. I'm sure though that any such proposal, regardless, would be met with the same hostilities.

Possibly a CATs link like In Vienna, to downtown Toronto (as well as connecting to GO/subway on route to downtown, or an airtrain type system like at JFK that connects just to GO stations/the BD line, then maybe.

I think if something like this were put into place it would make a huge difference. What I most like about CAT in Vienna (and perhaps other links are the same) is the ability to check in at the downtown station and not have to worry about your luggage until you get to your final destination. If you were too have two options, one, a premium Airport link that cost around $15 - $20 including a downtown check in, and regular transit service via GO that would probably be around $5 - $7 without a downtown check in you could appeal to two very large segments of travellers and make travelling to and from Pearson much more convenient. And of course if the facilities were built for rail transit then you could also add connections with VIA to this list.

I don't see any of this happening for quite some time, but really, it is such a logical way to make Pearson a more accessible airport and would probably rival an island airport for convenience.

"But the island airport is way too convient."

Convenient to whom- a select group of business and bureaucrats. In the past it hasn't proven to be convenient enough to support a viable service. This is not a new experiment- it's been tried for years and it didn't work. What makes you think that this time will be different?

With regards to' give it to the people'. I'm talking about the vast island airport lands- which is ONLY currently used by well-to-do private 'piper' etc owners. There is huge potential for the city there- far beyond a minor airport that caters to a very few select citizens.

With a fixed link, the City would have to toll pedestrian and vehicular traffic to recoup their losses from a cancelled ferry service.

Convenient to whom- a select group of business and bureaucrats. In the past it hasn't proven to be convenient enough to support a viable service

Factoring the fact that you are flying from a destination where the mass transit system is centered to, in addition to the new ferry, the fares are not entirely outrageous enough where some people may pay a little extra for the conveince. Paying $2+ - 5 dollars one way to get does offset some of the higher cost.

But, Porter airlines may fail, I'm not disagreeing with that as past history is not on their side. But, today is not yesterday, and demand changes - Toronto is big enough where there could be a demand for this type of service vs. in the past where there was too little.

Checked flights, and they're $120 + tax each way to Ottawa,

By the way, that doesn't seem like business class pricing. You can probably get a $60 (all before taxes) flight using AirCan if you plan it properly, but executive class is atleast 400 bucks.

I just checked both aircan and porter, you can get flights both right now for similar dates for $66, FOR BOTH. To me, Porter would be attractive for some as it is more convient to get to/more mass transit options. Granted, who knows, they could jack up the price after the introductory phase.

The Mill rate may be the same, but there was a recent article in the Star regarding the house/land values that were being kept articifically low, thus resulting in minimal taxes paid when compared to similar dwellings in Etobicoke, Scarborough or North York. The residents really are not paying their fair share - the numbers posted in the star were rather shocking as far as I can recall.

Deluce just announced the expansion of Porker with the Montreal-Toronto service to be up and running on December 11 (as per the CBC evening news). No details on the website.

^^ Here's a link..

Porter adds Montreal flights from island airport

Porter Airlines confirmed today that it will add Montreal as its second destination starting Dec. 11.

Porter said it plans to launch the route from Toronto City Centre Airport with four round-trip weekday flights, as well as weekend service.

The airline plans to increase service to nine scheduled weekday round trips to Montreal in early January after receiving its fourth aircraft.

Initial one-way fares will start at $119.

"We're excited to follow-up on our successful launch to Ottawa last week with the announcement of Montreal as our second destination," president and CEO Robert Deluce said in a release.

"Porter is pleased to be bringing the convenient option of flying to the island airport back to Montreal travellers after such a long time."

Porter said it will create about 20 full-time jobs in Montreal, including staff and contract positions. The airline currently has over 200 employees.

Porter currently operates two 70-seat Bombardier Q400 turboprop aircraft and a third will be delivered prior to inauguration of its Montreal service and a fourth in place by the end of the year.

The choice of the Toronto Island airport, which is just off the Lake Ontario shore to the south and west of Toronto's main downtown core, has been controversial.

Toronto Mayor David Miller campaigned in 2003 on a platform that included blocking a bridge to the island, citing local opposition to the increased traffic. While the bridge has been blocked, there continues to be a ferry services to the island.

In addition, ACE Aviation (TSX: ACE.B) subsidiary Jazz (TSX: JAZ.UN) has cried foul over its eviction from the island airport. It had wanted to reinstate service to Ottawa but said last summer those plans were put on hold after the airline said the Toronto Port Authority declined approval of a facility lease.

Deluce's point of view..

Oct 31,2006- Globe and Mail - Porter CEO blasts critics

Porter Airlines CEO Robert Deluce fired back at critics of the island airport yesterday, even as he announced new flights from Toronto City Centre Airport to Montreal.

A week after its inaugural flights, Porter Airlines is pleased with its progress, Mr. Deluce said yesterday during a speech to the Economic Club of Toronto in the National Club on Bay Street. Flights to Montreal will begin Dec. 11, and the airline will start booking tomorrow.

Mr. Deluce said the airline is growing despite opposition from Mayor David Miller, the call for a boycott by MP Olivia Chow, the New Democrat whose Trinity-Spadina riding faces the airport at the lakefront, and local protests.

"The future of our airline should be decided not by politicians, but by the marketplace," he said. And there is no reason for the city to take control of the Toronto Port Authority, which oversees the airport, as called for by Mr. Miller, he said.Bill Freeman, chair of Community Air, which is responsible for protests against the airline, said he believes Porter Airlines will fail.

The airline, which has received $125-million in equity from investors, has identified 15 other cities in Canada and the United States as eventual destinations.

Back