Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Defeating Stephen Harper is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. Unless there's a major turnaround of fortunes for the Conservative Party, this airport expansion is dead. Ports Toronto also looks headed towards a big shakeup as well.

Deluce picked a fight that he can't win. Had he kept his little regional business, he and his airline would've been doing just fine, popular amongst Torontonians, tolerated by waterfront residents. As it stands now, he's public enemy number one to those in the waterfront community, many city council members and others in higher government. He's burned too many bridges. It's time to move to Florida.

Defeating Stephen Harper is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. Unless there's a major turnaround of fortunes for the Conservative Party, this airport expansion is dead. Ports Toronto also looks headed towards a big shakeup as well.

Deluce picked a fight that he can't win. Had he kept his little regional business, he and his airline would've been doing just fine, popular amongst Torontonians, tolerated by waterfront residents. As it stands now, he's public enemy number one to those in the waterfront community, many city council members and others in higher government. He's burned too many bridges. It's time to move to Florida.

Porter was hardly tolerated by waterfront residents. The relationship has been antagonistic on both sides right from the start.

I use to live in the waterfront community (actually had the honour of being the closest building to the airport and my bedroom window faced south). I quite liked the airport. Quick trips to NY and was more often than not quieter than the highways. When the wind was blowing the wrong way it was loud but I lived in the city and instead of hearing fire trucks I heard airplanes...a good compromise when I lived down there.

There is a small minority of residents opposed to Porter. Most of the residents will answer yes to the polls whomever commissions it. Do you like to use Porter since its so close? YES. Do you not like the noise? YES. It's so easy to get the response you want from the poll

You don't have to live on Queens Quay to be a member of the waterfront community. I live several blocks away but walk down there with my dog almost every day.

I don't think that people's opposition to the airport is so much about noise as it is about the inadequate capacity of Eireann Quay, Queens Quay and Bathurst to deal with an airport approaching the traffic of Ottawa's.

Still, noise *is* a problem. I'm up on King West and Brant and I routinely hear the engines revving up at night and sometimes hear the reverse thrust on landing. It is *loud*. Sound is a funny thing.

Finally, my main opposition to this expansion has to do with an expanded airport dominating the waterfront. The approach over the Portlands rules out billions of dollars in development potential. Ontario Place is also affected. The wider exclusion zone deminishes the usefullness of our inner harbour.

The airport has far too detrimental an effect on such a large part of our waterfront for very little in return. It's hard to justify, specially since there's an alternative. There's now an express train to our international airport. They need to work on improving security to make it smoother, faster, and friendlier, not build another major airport on our waterfront that will quickly face the same inconveniences that people are avoiding at Pearson.

You don't have to live on Queens Quay to be a member of the waterfront community. I live several blocks away but walk down there with my dog almost every day.

Still, noise *is* a problem. I'm up on King West and Brant and I routinely hear the engines revving up at night and sometimes hear the reverse thrust on landing. It is *loud*. Sound is a funny thing.

Interesting, as I live near Fleet and Bathurst and I have never once heard the planes in any capacity whatsoever while inside my building. Very rarely hear them--and not at an unpleasant volume--when walking or driving on Lakeshore or farther north. Walking on Queen's Quay they're audible frequently but I don't find the noise even remotely bothersome. Anyways, if I live so close to the waterfront and have never heard them once while in my home, I really don't accept noise as an argument against the expansion.

Interestingly, I just heard a radio ad that Porter's now flying to North Bay. It's too bad they were focused on jets for a while; the strength has always been short-haul flights; destinations like Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins and now North Bay provide some competition to AC Jazz.

Interestingly, I just heard a radio ad that Porter's now flying to North Bay. It's too bad they were focused on jets for a while; the strength has always been short-haul flights; destinations like Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins and now North Bay provide some competition to AC Jazz.
This is somewhat true...but it is only natural that they seek out routes with greater numbers of potential customers....no disrespect to communities like North Bay but there is a limited number of people travelling there on any given day.

As others have pointed out, since there is a cap on the number of movements at YTZ, and since that cap is already maxed out, for Porter to add destinations with their jets will require them to get rid of destinations like North Bay and Timmins.

As others have pointed out, since there is a cap on the number of movements at YTZ, and since that cap is already maxed out, for Porter to add destinations with their jets will require them to get rid of destinations like North Bay and Timmins.
not sure that is true...it could mean some routes get combined....so, for example, instead of separate planes leaving YTZ for Thunder Bay and North Bay....perhaps it is Toronto-NB-TB-Toronto.......some routes may be reduced in frequency to free up slots...some slots may become available (ie. if AC abandon YTZ).

This is somewhat true...but it is only natural that they seek out routes with greater numbers of potential customers....no disrespect to communities like North Bay but there is a limited number of people travelling there on any given day.
Although if you look at some of the insane fares that AC can demand for flying these routes, even with fewer passengers there may be profit to be found.

Back