Toronto Beyond The Sea | ?m | 44s | Empire | Richmond Architects

Sean, I think you're harsh on agents. I'm not an agent, but in my work I associate with them to some extent. The good ones, specifically including Brad Lamb (who I know slightly) work pretty hard. Admittedly a number of them don't work so hard, but I think these ones, on average, have a short shelf life.

How hard they work is immaterial - it's what they do that's in question. The scalper comparison isn't far off, imo - it's a parasite industry for the most part. Some brokers provide a useful service, but when they begin to take over the market, you've got a problem. Having lived in 2 cities where the broker situation is completely out of control (NY & Vancouver), and clearly does not work to the advantage of buyers/renters, I think the city would be wise to regulate this somehow. Won't happen, of course.

I didn't realize the buzz this condo had created. It's on citynews online too!
Waterfront living has its advantages I guess, both financial and recreational.

Poor 3Dementia.... never got paid for all his brilliant branding/marketing work on Mistral... when the builders (I called them the "Good Fellas") went bust before we had a chance to take those great "sail" towers to market.... I had a hunch that a 300 acre waterfront playground make a nice front yard for condo dwellers. Damn.

MISTRALSIGNS.jpg

Hans Fogh, co-creator of the Laser sailboat originally owned the land beyond the sea.

mistral.jpg

Interchange:

Bit of "skyscraper" forum trivia/history... the lovely Mistral logo, immediately imitated/ripped off a number of times by other developments such as Malibu, was designed by a UT former forumer (there's a mouthful) who I hired for the job... and eventually became my business partner back then........ and the renders of Mistral towers were done by Serge of SSP fame.

Was the phase two of Mistral going to be called Mistral's Daughter, in homage to the excellent trashy book of that title by Judith Krantz?

I recall the book had breathless commentary on the up to the minute moderne interiors of the heroine...and good dirty parts.

That suprises me because the heat generated by the novel (or more precisely his throbbing manhood and her moist, slippery temple of pleasure)... seems a tad inappropriate ... or rather the title is a inappropriate as a Mistral is typically a chilly experience.

I remember sipping my first glass of Sardo wine, in the company of a gorgeous separatist ("I'm not Italian!"... "good, I'm not American!") when the devilish Mistral drove us indoors.

I remember that Mistral with fondness.

Star Tower

As reported in the Globe and Mail, and repeated on Urbandb.com:

High sales push up start of building

SYDNIA YU
Special to The Globe and Mail
December 21, 2007
Star Tower
BUILDER/DEVELOPER: Empire Communities

SIZE: 584 to 1,594 square feet
The Globe and Mail

PRICE: from $240,000s to $989,000

SALES CENTRE: 2242 Lake Shore Blvd. West, west of Park Lawn Road. Open Monday to Thursday, noon to 7 p.m.; Friday, noon to 6 p.m.; weekends, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

CONTACT: (416) 521-7200 or http://www.beyondtheseacondos.com

In only six months, Empire Communities has sold out two condo towers and about 70 per cent of a third at its Beyond the Sea project near the lakeshore in Etobicoke. As a result, the on-site sales office - whose design recently won a silver award from the National Sales and Marketing Council in the United States - will soon be torn down to make way for construction.

"The award-winning presentation centre will close in the new year," Empire executive vice-president Paul Golini Jr. says. "It's for the benefit of the project with respect to getting into the ground early and starting construction on phases one and two at the same time."

An off-site office will handle sales for the third building, called Star Tower, which will rise 44 storeys and complete the development on Lake Shore Boulevard West, near Park Lawn Road.

Mr. Golini notes that the project will have "a common landscaped terrace and extensive amenity space ... to create a great opportunity for a lifestyle on the Etobicoke waterfront that hasn't been offered before." The area, he adds, has been become increasingly popular.

Located 10 minutes by car from downtown, the development will be nestled between a new public park to the north and the Martin Goodman Trail to the south. Urban conveniences include Queensway shops and services, and the Gardiner Expressway.

Munge/Leung: Design Associates got inspiration from the ocean: The lobby will feature a saltwater aquarium with exotic sea life and coral.

The 40,000-square-foot recreational club on the second floor of the podium will include an indoor pool, whirlpool tub, gym, yoga area and a martial arts and boxing room.

There also will be a party room with a kitchen, bars, a dining room and wine-tasting space, along with a theatre, hobby and billiards room and children's play areas. A concierge will also be on site.

Outdoors, there will be a landscaped terrace and pavilion with cabanas, plus a putting green and barbecue.

The Star Tower will contain 340 suites, ranging from one to three bedrooms in size. Ten townhouse/lofts and 20 podium suites will be unveiled in the new year.

One notable suite is the 880-square-foot Seascape, a two-bedroom, two-bathroom design, starting from the $350,000s. The model has northwest exposures, an open-concept living and dining room, and a wraparound balcony that extends from the kitchen to the master suite. The latter also has a walk-in closet and an ensuite bathroom with oversized shower.

Enhancing the unit will be engineered wood floors, imported ceramic tile and 40-ounce broadloom.

In addition, there will be granite kitchen countertops, ceramic tile backsplashes and stainless-steel appliances, as well as laundry machines and cultured marble vanities in the bathrooms.

Each unit will come with a parking space, which will cost $35 a month to maintain. The monthly general maintenance fee is 48 cents a square foot, not including hydro.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071221.SITESTAR21/TPStory/?query=star+tower+toronto

wow! 44 is pretty tall for etobicoke.

just one question, if you take a brick from this starfish tower and place it somewhere else, will it sprout into a new tower? ;)

Back