Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

I must say that I absolutely loathe the fountain design. Is the neighbourhood devolving into a kindergarten? The cows at TD Centre, the elephants at Commerce Court, the unidentified life forms at Metro Centre, am I missing other representatives of the animal kingdom?

Squatches.

I must say that I absolutely loathe the fountain design. Is the neighbourhood devolving into a kindergarten? The cows at TD Centre, the elephants at Commerce Court, the unidentified life forms at Metro Centre, am I missing other representatives of the animal kingdom?

Yes, Toronto is far too whimsical as it is!

I'd love to see that at Grange Park, a real formal garden of high design, allées, fountains and art... all as a complement to the AGO/Grange House. At Berczy though i'm ok with the whimsy, the Gooderham mural sort of sets a playful tone here to start with, right?

I'd love to see that at Grange Park, a real formal garden of high design, allées, fountains and art... all as a complement to the AGO/Grange House. At Berczy though i'm ok with the whimsy, the Gooderham mural sort of sets a playful tone here to start with, right?

Agreed, good points. The dog "accessories", as Cormier puts it, are just a bit too cutesy for my taste.

Tewder:

OT for a moment - FYI re: Grange Park - PFS Studio (Vancouver) is responsible for that one:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2012/03/03/hopes_high_for_a_grange_park_upgrade.html
http://www.ago.net/art-gallery-of-o...hitect-for-grange-park-revitalization-project
http://grangeparktoronto.ca/ - there is a meeting on April 22, per the site.

AoD

Thanks for the links AoD. I like Charles Pachter's vision for the park (in the Star article), he speaks of the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris, for example (though of a different scale of course). Being adjacent to the AGO and the Grange this park could be quite a destination for locals and tourists alike!

I'm clearly very late to the party as I (somehow) never found this thread before. But I like the dog fountain, I think it's perfect for the way the area has evolved. I like the plan overall, and I'm happy to see the timelines (Aug 2014 - May 2015) are actually much more aggressive than I thought.

Last edited:
This is an amazing project; fountain and all. I dont understand what it means by a designated on-leash dog area however. Are people unable to take their dogs anywhere else in the park? Anyways, I really hope this project makes it through planning unscathed.

This is an amazing project; fountain and all. I dont understand what it means by a designated on-leash dog area however. Are people unable to take their dogs anywhere else in the park? Anyways, I really hope this project makes it through planning unscathed.

I think that on-leash dog area needs to be clarified. If it is in fact meant as on-leash, that would imply to me dogs aren't allowed anywhere else in the park? Which makes a dog themed fountain very stupid.

Either way, off or on-leash, that area is also listed as the area for flower gardens bordering all of it. This also gives the lazy dog owners 'cover' for not picking up.

I think the dog fountain is brilliant, and i'm not even a dog person! Would definitely rather a cat fountain... oh and that dogs are banned from the park. Then again, maybe it's just ignorant dog owners i have an issue with, not the dogs? Never mind, cool fountain!!

Back