Toronto Scotiabank North Tower at Bay Adelaide Centre | 140.2m | 32s | Brookfield | KPMB

They resubmitted June 17th, so they are probably almost at SPA then.

Also it looks like the already very small food court will be shrunk even more to fit in the elevator banks for this building. Unfortunate.

Also this is 140.21m.

Ok .the third tower will be built.
Not a problem with that and i dont think it will
prevent Union Centre and 160 Front to go up.
Why ? It's because Union Centre and 160 Front will
attract different tenants than the small Bay Adelaide centre.
If a big tenant like BMO , RBC or another big
corporation like them want a new office tower,
they will not select Bay Adelaide North tower.It's just
too small for them. Bay Adelaide will attract smaller companies only.
Big corporations want big and beautiful tower that show their
power like CIBC did with CIBC Square.
Td is looking for 500 k office space in Toronto.So ,a more
suitable choice for them will be 16 York or Union Centre.
Then,Union Centre does not have to worry a lot.
I am convinced that Union Centre will be the next big tower
to be leased this year or in 2018.

The banks look for the best deal on space. They don't care what the building like. If another decides to consolidate like CIBC than Union Centre will be too small. The only one that comes to mind with room for multiple towers and 2 plus million square feet is the convention centre site.

Not sure how I missed the SPA earlier. Maybe it appeared "right after" I searched. (You never know exactly how many days it'll be before they get the applications online.) In any case, thanks @Northern Light! Still rather amazing that this building could be going under construction shortly, and there has been no announcement. I expect we'll hear something from Brookfield very soon though!

The number of storeys in the database file has been adjusted up by 1, and the height has been revised too. 140.2 metres, @DonValleyRainbow.

The banks look for the best deal on space. They don't care what the building like.
That's not entirely true - they look for a combination of value and prestige. If it was just about price, you could easily rationalize decentralized space all around the city for a much lower cost than the core. Maybe not 20 years ago, but in today's connected age - it could be done if price was the only driver.

That's not entirely true - they look for a combination of value and prestige. If it was just about price, you could easily rationalize decentralized space all around the city for a much lower cost than the core. Maybe not 20 years ago, but in today's connected age - it could be done if price was the only driver.
If they only cared about price - they would probably just grind their current landlord to retrofit and lower costs...

Well, yeah, if you really want to get into it. They do look for quality space. You won't typically find them leasing space in a lower class building. Cost do have the banks very decentralized in many offices all around the city and 905. It's not availability that forced them to do this as many of these locations were actually built to suit. The same can be said with Bay Park Centre. It was designed for a bank.

Last edited:
If they only cared about price - they would probably just grind their current landlord to retrofit and lower costs...

Landlords of older buildings have spent and continue to spend tens of millions to make them more energy efficient. This is mainly in part to tenant demands. It's also easy to move to a new lease than to renovate a tired space that is occupied.

I'm going to assume Bay Park's rates are more in line the rest of Southcore than the more expensive Bay and King. Of course, CIBC is moving people from all over to Bay Park and so it may turn out more expensive for them. They have been bleeding quality people for years. This is their attempt to plug those holes.

I wonder what will happen to the older commerce court north; That is a beautiful building ! Does anyone know is that 100% occupied by CIBC or only partly atm ? Also what's the condition of the offices; While older buildings like this look great, the lobby is probably Toronto's finest pieces of architecture, I wonder about the offices themselves.

I hope nothing silly happens like converting it into a condo - from the sense of closing the lobby to the public.

Interesting. This may have been mentioned already, but due to the fact that the existing Bay Adelaide loading ramp off Richmond bisects the ground floor of the north tower, the east and west halves are fairly separate. According to the plans, the east half will serve as the building lobby (with two elevator banks), while the west portion is marked as retail. A bit of animation for the west end of this stretch of Temperance.

Not sure how I missed the SPA earlier. Maybe it appeared "right after" I searched. (You never know exactly how many days it'll be before they get the applications online.) In any case, thanks @Northern Light! Still rather amazing that this building could be going under construction shortly, and there has been no announcement. I expect we'll hear something from Brookfield very soon though!

The number of storeys in the database file has been adjusted up by 1, and the height has been revised too. 140.2 metres, @DonValleyRainbow.

That gives it a big jump in the list rank, from 284 to 173.

In the original rendition (Bay Adelaide circa 1989 ..the pointy tower). A 10-12 storey heritage building on Richmond was to be incorporated. The facade was dismantled and stored somewhere I assume. Does anyone know what happened to this facade and its fate?

As someone old enough to remember this area back in the 1980s when the original Bay Adelaide was proposed and started I'm glad this tower is finally going ahead. The two blocks from Adelaide to Richmond and Yonge to Bay have been a blight on downtown for much too long. Once Bay Adelaide North is done there will finally be a sense of completion in this area.

Back