Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

I always assumed the opaque film on the windows was temporary here, while the interiors are being fitted. However, one cannot blame some UTers for being nervous, given we live in a city where building owners and tenants often don't think twice about covering up ground level windows, streetscape be damned, and our municipal authorities do nothing about it.

RBC.png

Attachments

• RBC.png
    RBC.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,846
But in the case of the Royal Bank, that ground floor space has been vacant for several years, and the covering is actually better that a view into nothing.

I actually think the space is being used for office space, and IIRC has been for some time. Regardless, even if the space is vacant, I completely don't buy this notion that our only choice is between nothing or that the windows be permanently turned into what is effectively a blank wall (in this case, with a billboard above it). (As an aside, I have no issue with landlords installing temporary coverings if a space is empty and for lease or under construction, etc.) There are a lot of options that do not require the building turning its back to the street.

So, yeah, RBC is one nearby crappy example. So when someone like @DSC sees the film on the windows at Bay Adelaide, I don't blame him for being a bit nervous.

From a couple of evenings ago…

View attachment 79800

An area where BA East exceeds over its predecessor is the logo placement on the slightly taller (but less pronounced) fins. When captured from the right angle, as illustrated in this pic, the logo really shines and gives it a much lighter look, floating above with the transparency. Not a huge fan of logos in general, but this is pretty nice treatment.

So when someone like @DSC sees the film on the windows at Bay Adelaide, I don't blame him for being a bit nervous.
I like to see it as 'vigilance' rather than 'nervousness' and am slightly hopeful that the frosting/film is temporary as it has not been very well applied and, in general, the BA Centre is well finished. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Brown paper is a warm, natural material that provides pulp-based light-blocking while offering the interest of a rich, irregular texture. This sustainable product may be applied directly over transparent silicate-based sidings with cello-style adhesive strips, and lends itself well to any circumstance where photic reduction is needed.

Brown paper -- for all your window-covering needs.

I hate the way the lobby ends at the wall with the big circle in the second photo. What a waste of space. Surely retail or something else could have gone here.

Back