Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Taken a couple days ago:
2016-08-15 12.05.15.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-08-15 12.05.15.jpg
    2016-08-15 12.05.15.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,378
First pic from last week and the rest taken 2 days ago. You can see the old park area is now cleared and at the same level as the south entrance into College Park.
2016-08-31 11.45.59.jpg

2016-09-07 10.55.01.jpg

2016-09-07 10.55.08.jpg

2016-09-07 11.58.17.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-09-07 10.55.08.jpg
    2016-09-07 10.55.08.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,003
  • 2016-09-07 11.58.17.jpg
    2016-09-07 11.58.17.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,038
  • 2016-08-31 11.45.59.jpg
    2016-08-31 11.45.59.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,046
  • 2016-09-07 10.55.01.jpg
    2016-09-07 10.55.01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,048
There has got to be a way to construct a park on top of a structure so that the structure can be repaired from underneath when need be, so that the park with all its buildings and vegetation does not need to be scraped off the top of the structure every 40 years when a new membrane is required. Not that I miss what's been removed, and I'm glad we'll have better planting conditions, better landscaping, and better pavilions for the park than we had before, but in 40 years time, here's hoping they don't have to wipe the slate clean again.

There has got to be a way to construct a park on top of a structure so that the structure can be repaired from underneath when need be, so that the park with all its buildings and vegetation does not need to be scraped off the top of the structure every 40 years when a new membrane is required. Not that I miss what's been removed, and I'm glad we'll have better planting conditions, better landscaping, and better pavilions for the park than we had before, but in 40 years time, here's hoping they don't have to wipe the slate clean again.

Not sure how, the top of the concrete needs to be waterproofed and sooner or later (30+ years) it needs to be replaced. You can only do this from on top. If any of us are around in 30-40 years we can look forward to another scraping!

I remember vividly looking down on the park under construction from my then brand-new apartment at the Liberties; that was in 1988. I don't recall exactly which parts were being (re)built then, but certainly the walkway to Gerrard was among them.

Not sure how, the top of the concrete needs to be waterproofed and sooner or later (30+ years) it needs to be replaced. You can only do this from on top. If any of us are around in 30-40 years we can look forward to another scraping!
Ok, but if you use a high quality material.... I just don't understand why the ENTIRE thing needs to be cleared. If there's a bad section that has suddenly sprung a leak, why not just dig up that section and patch it over? Or fix that part from underneath in the parking garage?
Or if high quality material is too expensive, can they not just buy small amounts of high quality and create "pockets" that can be replaced over a longer timeframe, over top of which mature trees can STAY while the rest of the site gets re-waterproofed?

Ok, but if you use a high quality material.... I just don't understand why the ENTIRE thing needs to be cleared. If there's a bad section that has suddenly sprung a leak, why not just dig up that section and patch it over? Or fix that part from underneath in the parking garage?
Or if high quality material is too expensive, can they not just buy small amounts of high quality and create "pockets" that can be replaced over a longer timeframe, over top of which mature trees can STAY while the rest of the site gets re-waterproofed?
If you have a house and the roof springs a leak you can probably fix it one or twice with patches. The place most membranes fail is at the seams so the more seams you have the more problems. At some point it is FAR cheaper and FAR better to do the whole damned thing at one time. The roof of the garage reached that point.

Last edited:

Back