Toronto Auto BLDG | 54.86m | 10s | Castlepoint Numa | a—A

This is good news. Had the city allowed condo's to be built on site it just would have put pressure on Nestle to sell out to developers down the road and the loss of more factory jobs.

Since this very large parcel of land cannot be used for housing what the city should do is try to broker a deal whereby if Kraft Canada would build a new factory at this location the city would grant rezoning of their Humber Bay property.

I think this is a very unfortunate decision.

I agree that the City should exercise caution in permitting employment lands to be converted into residential in circumstances where there is a reasonable prospect that those lands will be used for employment purposes. This particular neighbourhood, however, is a mixed neighbourhood (much of the residential proposed is across the street from semi-detached homes) and the mixed use proposed by Castlepoint was entirely appropriate for the area. This is not a development that tossed in some commercial space to get it through approvals -- there is more commercial square footage than residential square footage proposed. The inclusion of residential allowed this to be a larger scale project that would serve to revitalize the entire area both commercially and residentially.

I can understand the concerns of the employees at Nestle, especially after seeing Mr. Christie's, but the locations are entirely different. And Nestle is not acting like a company with any interest in leaving. I loved the comment "put pressure on Nestle to sell out to developers". Yes, the pressures that the world's largest food company must face to act in its own economic self-interest! If Nestle had any interest in selling out it would be cheering on the Castlepoint development because it would increase the value of Nestle's land. Instead it is opposing it because it has no interest in moving its production elsewhere and doesn't want to have to be a good neighbour. If anyone thinks a chocolate plant can't be run close to residential, look at the Cadbury plant on Gladstone, which is surrounded by homes.

In rejecting this proposal the Toronto planning department failed to say what they think should go on this property. Should it remain vacant because it is nearby (not even neighbouring!) a chocolate plant? Should attempts be made for another 30 years to sell it to a non-existent industrial concern? Single storey pre-fab light industrial? Are there any other options for this location that don't involve residential?

http://www.thesterling1919.com/

The Sterling community master plan will accommodate just over 600 residential units in several new and innovative buildings. Commercial spaces and tree-lined streets will activate the neighbourhood with new life. The gentrification of the area will promote public safety with a new park and public plaza. A seasonal reflective pool will allow for a timeless water feature in the summer months and an ice rink in the winter. The residential lobby will be located off of Sterling Rd. on a quiet new tree lined street.

Denoted as a Toronto transit hub, the master plan incorporates access to the Perth bike path, which was completed in the spring of 2012 as well as several TTC and subway access points. The heritage boiler room and smoke stack building will be reconstructed to complete the character and authenticity of this reclaimed site. Architectural landscaping by Ferris & Associates.

location-cmp.jpg

Is there any news on this project? I drove by this morning for work and thought how good of a location this is. I tried to google search a sales site and nothing, I take it nothing is going on?

Finally!!! New home for MOCCA at the Tower Automotive Building.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...s-a-new-home-in-an-old-space/article25015539/

"A dramatic street-level main-floor entry zone of 900 square metres, with a ceiling almost five metres high, that will house a boutique, café, rotating exhibition space for works from MoCCA’s 400-piece permanent collection and “a social space” suitable for talks, performances and screenings.

The second floor, also 900 square metres, is, at this stage at least, dedicated to new exhibitions and possibly the thematic presentation of contemporary works from the National Gallery of Canada, a MoCCA partner since 2010. Meanwhile, 450 square metres of the third floor are being allocated for MoCCA’s offices (talks are under way about MoCCA leasing the other 450), plus the museum will have access to a ground-level outdoor plaza on Tower’s west side for programming and installations."

It'll be nice to see that building have new life breathed into it. It has such a great, looming presence in the area and it's quite elegantly sturdy.

Any timeframe on the project, and when the condos will start to be marketed. I agree this is great news overall though, I thought this was all going to condo space going forward, rather there is now over 500K of commerical / retail space being planned.

It looks like two years is the rough timeframe. Much work ahead. It also looks like around six office/commercial towers are planned for the site furthering the evolution of the Dundas and Bloor area for more intense use. Interesting times for Toronto with so many projects actually moving ahead and opening.

"The result? Castlepoint abandoned its plan to condominiumize Tower Automotive; instead, the restored building would “support new commercial and office uses targeted towards the arts and digital media sectors.” Six other towers dedicated to “new office, retail, cultural and commercial [uses]” would be built in proximity to Tower. None, however, would be taller than the landmark former factory which, during the Second World War, produced fuselages, helmets, bullets and bayonets for the Allies." Globe and Mail

Back