Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Re: Height Increase

Well, it would seem that they've already been working with the City as this change was surely due to requests to provide better access to the park behind amongst other things. I think there's a good chance the City will end up being okay with the overall height. Their main concern so far seems to have been about ground level and the smaller tower's shadow.

The context of having a 75s tower at the site could be problematic, especially if one considers the built form along Yonge Street south of Gerrard. Going from supertall to 2-3s doesn't work that well.

Indeed. The real question might be the height of the podium that forms the streetwall, because that - not the tower - is what's going to set the standard for what the city wants to see up and down Yonge.

I agree. the height of the tower would certainly stand out at this point, but I imagine that to be less of an issue moving forward. surely what will determine the fate of this building is how well the podium is designed, and whats incorporated in it. the main concern would be to make sure they don't just erect a super tall there that is completely disconnected from everything below it. especially on that strip.

QUICKY, CRAPPY SNAPS

Here's a peak at the revision. Top of 75th is 227m, top of the architectural swoosh is 240m, and the little pokey things on top (presumably to skewer pigeons) add a couple of meters.

It's hard to tell from these pics, but essentially there are 2 different glass half-cylinders on the west and east sides that emerge from the rectangular floorplate portion.

Obviously it looks better than this but I couldn't be bothered playing with it because planning ain't supportive... at all.

BTW... remember the fictional creature I stuck at this location last year in my north/south future pano? See zoom in below. Pretty good guess on form and height, eh? Huh? pats self on back... almost psychotic (or is it psychic...always mix those 2 up).

rocp3.jpg

LEFT to RIGHT: west elevation, north elevation, render looking west along Gerrard, render looking east along Gerrard.
3future.jpg

Wow. That's... monsterous. Something like a cross between a steamship funnel and an avant-garde mid-90's computer case.

Obviously it looks better than this but I couldn't be bothered playing with it because planning ain't supportive... at all.

So it ain't gonna happen?

Thanks for the legwork 3D, much appreciated.

It is tall, but not impressed by the design in general. The podium is really weak (like RoCP) and doesn't feel particularly urban.

The site deserves better.

AoD

Eeek, I'm not liking the design of this one at all. I prefer the previous version for sure.

Thanks for doing the legwork, 3Dementia.

My, oh my.

The crappy podium would suggest that this is still G+C architects. So does the rather clumsy overall shape, but maybe it's just 3Dementia's self-admittedly bad pics.

Final judgment reserved until we see clearer renders.

So no 10-storey podium? What happened?

I fail to see what’s wrong with it. Without a rendering with the appropriate materials and colours we can’t really judge what this will look like. The massing looks interesting and the design is different from 1 and 2 which most seem to agree is what we want. If the city doesn’t like it due to style then fine, but if they’re skeptical about it’s height they obviously haven’t had a good read of Toronto’s official plan.

Cassius, some might argue that the two tower plan looks like something more suited for North York or Mississauga then the heart of Toronto. It’s not often these days that we get a residential proposal that isn’t a flat top, or a building sporting a hat.

Yes, the podium looks weak, and given the ROCP (and the podium of that just gets worse and worse by the day), I fear for the street level of this sucker.

A 10 storey podium, that would match the height of College Park, would probably be preferable.

^^ (referring to Whistler's comment)

Mostly about height, thanks to a Yonge and Gerrard Street address ... I guess a a short jog to a subway and a streetcar is not good enough.

The ten storey podium was much better I agree.

P.S.

1 Bloor East (Young & Wright, Kolter) is dead, dead, dead.

Entire block is for sale ... perhaps a consortium of UT RRSPs?

This is definitely an interesting proposal and i would reserve my judgement until we get clearer renderings. This project, along w/ ROCP 1 and 2, as well as Murano and the Met, will form a nice little cluster between the CBD and Yonge and Bloor. Hopefully a competent developer can take over 1be and give that site something deserving of its status as one of Toronto's premier real estate.

Back