News   Apr 16, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 618     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Toronto and the 2015 Federal Election

So, can anyone help me with advice on the Beaches candidates? All seem to be locals, all seem to be pretty young and energetic and bright guys (no women, sadly.)

I lived in Beaches-East York up until a year ago and I really liked Matthew Kellway, the current MP. His win over long time Liberal MP Maria Minna in 2011 was seen as somewhat of a surprise. He had a relatively low profile until last year when he took over the Urban Affairs critic post from Olivia Chow. Kellway seems well versed in urban issues and has put out some thoughtful white papers on city issues. His new Liberal opponent is Nate Erskine-Smith, a young Bay Street lawyer who grew up in the riding.

Last edited:
I lived in Beaches-East York up until a year ago and I really liked Matthew Kellway, the current MP. His win over long time Liberal MP Maria Minna in 2011 was seen as somwehat of a surprise. He had a relatively low profile until last year when he took over the Urban Affairs critic post from Olivia Chow. Kellway seems well versed in urban issues and has put out some thoughtful white papers on city issues. His new Liberal opponent is Nate Erskine-Smith, a young Bay Street lawyer who grew up in the riding.

Thx for that. I took a look at all the candidates' websites, but there's not a lot of substance on each of them as individuals. I'll go look for Kellway's white papers!

For the NDP to be sitting at 25% at Eglinton Lawrence is very telling. And I don't think it is because of the popularity of their NDP plant-in from Saskatchewan.

I wonder what this means for St. Paul's numbers.

I will be voting for the non-Conservative candidate with the highest support. I don't give a shit who it is, as long as the Consevatives lose in Mississauga-Malton.

For the NDP to be sitting at 25% at Eglinton Lawrence is very telling. And I don't think it is because of the popularity of their NDP plant-in from Saskatchewan.

I wonder what this means for St. Paul's numbers.
308 shows the Conservatives at 22.2%, Liberals at 43.8% and the NDP at 25.7%, with the Liberals at an 85% chance of winning the riding.

308 shows the Conservatives at 22.2%, Liberals at 43.8% and the NDP at 25.7%, with the Liberals at an 85% chance of winning the riding.
I swear this is the Liberal's strongest riding in Canada. :p

Even then though, these are very weak numbers for the Liberals in this riding, and in Eglinton-Lawrence. Liberals winning this riding is usually a foregone conclusion. 85% either indicates discontent for Liberals or favorable sentiment towards NDP.

Sorry, AoD, but I hope you don't get your wish re: Joe Oliver.
Côme on way early predictions, do well by me.

I will be voting for the non-Conservative candidate with the highest support. I don't give a shit who it is, as long as the Consevatives lose in Mississauga-Malton.

More than likely ex-MP Navdeep Bains, unless the Libs *really* bomb and the NDP starts majorly sweeping Peel Region.

I had an appointment to go to today and drove by the Liberal and CPC candidates offices. Also, one home has NDP, Liberal and CPC signs on the lawn...

I swear this is the Liberal's strongest riding in Canada. :p

Even then though, these are very weak numbers for the Liberals in this riding, and in Eglinton-Lawrence. Liberals winning this riding is usually a foregone conclusion. 85% either indicates discontent for Liberals or favorable sentiment towards NDP.
Well, Dr. Bennett has always been very popular.

I think both are in play - discontent for Liberals and favourable sentiment towards NDP. If the current numbers hold, its going to all orange downtown, in Toronto Centre, University Rosedale & Spadina Fort York.

Back