News   Apr 25, 2024
 113     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 507     0 

Toronto and the 2015 Federal Election

Then why did 8 Conservative and 8 NDP MPs get elected in Toronto in 2011?

If I had to take a guess; changing demographics, poll numbers influence voter decisions, and the promise of change from the long years of the Liberals is what got eight Conservatives and eight NDP's elected in 2011.

The anti-NDP from the Bob Rae era is still prevalent more outside Toronto than in the city itself, but I could see them losing those seats to the Liberals if the A.B.C. (Anyone But Conservatives) fears see the NDP are losing more ground.

We also know that small c Conservatives would also vote Liberal, so they too could also lose those seats back to the Liberals in this election.

I am very surprised that Adam Vaughan is not doing so well in the polls, but I have stopped answering my phone in the evening because of the rash of pollsters calling. I really hope it is all about who is answering the phones and taking the polls. Chow would be a disaster for a new diverse district, we need someone to advocate, not just sit back and attend parties with their comrades. It galls me that Chow was inflicted on us by Mulcair, no selection process no inclusion just a late night call to an old friend. You can't complain the Tories are the old boy network when the NDP pulls the same crap. Just like when Michael Ignatiev was brought in as party leader, so bizarre and unexpected!, we all know how that ended.
Can't wait for this election to be over.

My parent, who are reliable PC/CPC voters, watched some of the Rogers debate for their riding. To my surprise, they didn't like the Conservative candidate and were really impressed with the Liberal incumbent. The CPC incumbent in my riding skipped out on the debate 10 minutes before it was supposed to start.

It galls me that Chow was inflicted on us by Mulcair, no selection process no inclusion just a late night call to an old friend.

Think about how the people of Scarborough-Guildwood felt, not to mention the local NDP volunteers and members in that riding, when Adam Giambrone was parachuted in as the NDP provincial candidate in the by-election a couple of years ago. I'm not sure that kind of thing ever leaves a good taste in the mouth.

Think about how the people of Scarborough-Guildwood felt, not to mention the local NDP volunteers and members in that riding, when Adam Giambrone was parachuted in as the NDP provincial candidate in the by-election a couple of years ago. I'm not sure that kind of thing ever leaves a good taste in the mouth.
I think it's different with Chow. She held the riding for a number of years so she isn't exactly inflicted or parachuted

I think it's different with Chow. She held the riding for a number of years so she isn't exactly inflicted or parachuted

Absolutely. Fair enough. Rufus8 was simply referring to how Chow got to run again, because that's what she wanted to do, and I simply mentioned a more egregious example. You're right - a lot of NPDers in the riding were presumably chuffed to have her as the candidate, although maybe not the other potential nominees.

It's true, the candidate otherwise most likely to get the nomination (James Lockyer) agreed to let Chow run unopposed. I would have preferred Lockyer over Chow, but she has a better chance of winning over Vaughan; that is a consideration among the local party faithful.

It was a lot more amicable than say the Liberal nomination in Eglinton-Lawrence.

Then again, doesn't she live in University-Rosedale now? I guess you can still say she was parachuted!

With Hollet not doing so well in University-Rosedale, perhaps having Chow run there would have increased the NDP's chances.

Somehow, someway, local conspiracy boob James Sears was allowed on the Rogers debate for Beaches-East York. He's running as an independent.

This yellow sign is for an independent candidate in Etobicoke North. His name is George Szebik and he really doesn't like the HST!

Attachments

• signyellow2.jpg
    signyellow2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 194
ThreeHundredEight.com has the Liberals sweeping every Toronto riding except Danforth, and all of the GTA except for 4 Conservative ridings.

Back