Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

Demoltion of Bata International building

Demolition has started but seems to be limited to gutting the interior at this time. The place is loaded with a rare Brazilian wood called Primavera. The only exterior work so far seems to be limited to the removal of the flashing around the edge of the roofline.

Demolition has started but seems to be limited to gutting the interior at this time. The place is loaded with a rare Brazilian wood called Primavera. The only exterior work so far seems to be limited to the removal of the flashing around the edge of the roofline.

Do you happen to know if someone is saving that Primavera for resell or resuse?

Greenspoon are the demolition contractors. I think when you hire a demolition company, they get to keep whatever they can salvage. Believe me, the wood will be saved. It might even end up in Greenspoon's president's rec room. Some demolition companies have yards where you can buy all kinds of stuff from their sites. Perhaps the wood will make it into the new centre. You never know.

Hey Zephyr: I can provide a day by day as I take the bus along Eglinton East every day to work. I hate to see it go though, breaks my heart.

Anyone prepared to post images?

Not me. I would like to ask that no one else post demolition photos. Bata should be remembered for what it was, not being ripped to shreds.

Sorry barit - I hear and understand your pain, but if someone wants to post photos of Bata coming down, they are welcome to do so. Avoid the thread if you do not wish to see it.

Otherwise, grimace and barit.

...I can provide a day by day as I take the bus along Eglinton East every day to work. I hate to see it go though, breaks my heart....

Whatever you post would be welcomed, but a day-by-day is not necessary unless you are seeing something that merits this, and then by all means.

As to your breaking heart, I more than understand. I've had that feeling throughout my career, and was unfortunately involved in a few projects that were built on top of what was once a city landmark here or an iconic building there. Strange how I thought I was getting into the act of creating not destroying buildings, and I embraced the pursuit after years of only observing it and writing occasionally about it. But such are the realities of the urban landscape - always re-writing itself - you try to do what you can when things seem to go wrong and our past is sacrificed in the name of something we hope will be worth it.
.​

Back