Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

In 2018, the City is supposed to be rebuilding Wellington Street east of Yonge. That will include removing one of the two streetcar tracks and one of the lanes. The reclaimed space will mostly be put into the north sidewalk, with new trees being planted along there.

88 Scott already substantially improves this stretch of Wellington, and the wider, treed sidewalk will be another huge boost. This block used to feel like an alley, it already feels more like it's a true part of downtown now.

In 2018, the City is supposed to be rebuilding Wellington Street east of Yonge. That will include removing one of the two streetcar tracks and one of the lanes. The reclaimed space will mostly be put into the north sidewalk, with new trees being planted along there.

88 Scott already substantially improves this stretch of Wellington, and the wider, treed sidewalk will be another huge boost. This block used to feel like an alley, it already feels more like it's a true part of downtown now.

The scheduling of the work on Wellington from Yonge to Church is still not confirmed - ideally it will happen in 2018. Wellingtom DOES already look better and it will improve. The work on Wellington will provide more trees (there were some there before) but that does not excuse the removal of trees on Scott Street.

Work on road, sidewalks and TTC track now 2019, Hydro working in 2018.

Last edited:
Not sure if this should be here, or in the individual projects section, since really nobody is yet in the building because of whatever happened a month ago, the flood I read elsewhere. Supposedly only a handful of people had moved in, and they all had to leave. And still not in from what I can tell (I live across the park in the other Concert building).

So what's happened to PDI's and the schedule for future move-ins? I haven't seen work across the street for quite a while, perhaps the trucks and contractors are entering through the back entrance on Colborne.

What could have happened that is taking so long, water in the elevator system? But if that's the case, what would happen if this same problem occurred when fully occupied in any building?

Concert would not publish anything to the general public i'm sure about the big flood. But I do know that PDIs for some people that were supposed to be occurring prior to Christmas have been moved out and some move-in dates have been adjusted forward. Depending on where your unit is in the building, you may or may not be impacted by this.

If this were to happen in the future, Property Management has protocols it needs to follow with insurance, fire and safety response services etc. Condos that have caught fire flooded, exploded etc. can sometimes have residents displaced for many months or > 1 year depending on the severity. All handled through insurance though.

Oops
Too bad that the nice trees that were formerly on Scott Street were not replaced. Apparently this time the problem was an Enbridge pipe. The City really needs to take its pledges about increasing tree canopy seriously. First we lost 10 to 15 trees on King at the Globe and Mail building, now more here.
they are full of it, as 5hey could have trees put into giant pots along there and still have room for pedestrians. And could change what trees are in y few years when they get to big for the pots

December 26, 2017:
IMG_8855.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8855.JPG
    IMG_8855.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 526
Just wondering how long does it usually takes for buildings to register with the city after completion? Or is it different every time?

It's different every time. Concert likes to have their buildings register before people move in, possibly the only builder in the city to do so? Some buildings have people in for a year before they register.

It was mentioned a while back that the venting at the top resembled the E in Concert’s logo. That observation appears to be spot on. Noticed today that the horizontal panels have now been coloured in to match the logo. Is this considered signage under city bylaws? Looked pretty tacky... Wasn’t able to grab a photo unfortunately.

It was mentioned a while back that the venting at the top resembled the E in Concert’s logo. That observation appears to be spot on. Noticed today that the horizontal panels have now been coloured in to match the logo. Is this considered signage under city bylaws? Looked pretty tacky... Wasn’t able to grab a photo unfortunately.
If this is a 'rendering' of the Concert logo it is reminiscent of the OXO Tower in London. When they built it (in the late 1920s) they were told they could have no advertising so they did THIS:

oxo.png

Rather clever I would say! Wiki says:

"The building was largely rebuilt to an Art Deco design by company architect Albert Moore between 1928 and 1929. Much of the original power station was demolished, but the river facing facade was retained and extended. Liebig wanted to include a tower featuring illuminated signs advertising the name of their product. When permission for the advertisements was refused, the tower was built with four sets of three vertically-aligned windows, each of which "coincidentally" happened to be in the shapes of a circle, a cross and a circle. This was significant because Skyline advertising at the time was banned along Southbank. Despite these windows being the building's architectural focal point, there is no general public access to the tower which is restricted to maintenance tradesmen."

Attachments

• oxo.png
    oxo.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 451

I did, unfortunately.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 517
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 541

Back