Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

I think it could've used a few more floors before it started stepping back at the top, and also a few floors between setbacks. But that would've made the tower at least 20-30 floors taller, and that's just not practical. At least not until we have new magnetic lift systems, that don't need cables and can go much faster.

Overall, I think it's a great addition to the skyline. Doesn't draw too much attention to itself, and should blend in with future developments nicely.

I'd much rather an elegantly quiet building than a splash that quickly gets old.

Today:
IMG_5130.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5130.JPG
    IMG_5130.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 475
I dunno, I rather like it. It's a relief from the usual more boxy scrapers we've seen. Yes, the proportions could have been more elegant, but I don't see it as any sort of outright failure. I think it will quietly stand the test of time.

I can't agree with you with both regards. I don't think the design is good enough to stand the test of time. I don't see this as a large departure to offer any relief from other glassy towers. There's this perception that the city is dominated by boxy aA type designs but, a quick count will reveal far more Cinemas, Waterparkcitys, Waterclubs, Pinnacle Centres, and Cityplaces out there that are boxy designs with some subtle gestures thrown in be it curves, angles or stepbacks (for stepbacks, usually contained at the upper most levels and mechanical penthouses much like this one). This one falls in that category. Deco inspired is a common direction taken in Toronto too.

As layman as any layman's opinion can be on architecture it seems to me whichever direction I look at 88, it reflects the architectural landscape. In a good way. As example, looking from the east, the north face steps back like the saw tooth reliefs in Scotia Plaza. The hard surface portions surrounding the windows look not dissimilar to exteriors of both One King and Brookfield Place. The stone base, while not particularly noteworthy to me, melds well with the King Eddy hotel in color and scale. I'm glad they reclaimed it. And the upper glass wall surfaces are a like that of Commerce Court. Nothing jumps out and barks its arrival. All in all, I see the neighborhood in 88 Scott and very much the way it sort of rises up, borrowing from parts of this juncture and its many interesting aspects and the varied uses in the community. It has a feel like it's been there for a long time vs., sticking out. Others here have said, New York and Chicago. I agree. I like it. And when it's finished and the lights are on inside at night, I think I'm going to like it even more.

View from the future affordable housing site at Cherry and Mill (technically a block east of the intersection)

Back