Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

I think there's a difference between landmark status and wayfinding.

From an international perspective, the lone landmark we have is the CN Tower, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.
Yeah, actually, you're right. I was overlooking that. And as such, more to the point: 88 Scott just ain't no landmark.

Except maybe in the hearts of people like us who post on forums like this every day of our lives.

From this morning.

IMG_0256.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 2,366
"If you want to know whether you're in St. Lawrence Market, look for 88 Scott" = landmark? I'm not sure. I think the Flatiron does this job.
Interestingly, from the West Donlands, it is this building that anchors the view west down Front, and does indeed mark the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood.

Interestingly, from the West Donlands, it is this building that anchors the view west down Front, and does indeed mark the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood.

If anything Market Wharf anchors the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood.

Yeah, point taken. Though to recur to ADRM's observation: with the ambiguous 'mark' you might be running together wayfinder with landmark. A landmark ends up on a postcard, a wayfinder maybe on a Toronto city tour bus map. Maybe 88 Scott would end up on such a map if you, say, are trying to indicate the way back to St. Lawrence from the Distillery. But I'm not sure it'd end up as the focal point of a postcard.

If anything Market Wharf anchors the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood.

Yep, I agree, though only if by 'anchors' we mean 'sits at the bottom of.' I think much of this discussion rides on running together different ideas with ambiguous language--it's possible that what anchors St. Lawrence isn't what landmarks it, and is different again from what is useful for wayfinding to and through it.

Well, that was all fun and pedantic, wasn't it?

Back