Toronto 86 John Street | 42.97m | 10s | Tawse | Sweeny &Co

It certainly looks like the kind of thing the city would protect. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it. Certainly a very good place for an eating establishment.

Would love to see a notch cut out at street level to accommodate the existing building. Seems like a simple way to save a 150 year old structure, fix the abysmal ground floor entry they have planned, and retain everything else that is so slim and sleek and wonderful about this project.

Win-win-win?

I'm with the ERA assessment of the heritage structure on this one: it ain't heritage, not worth saving, as what you're looking at now is nowhere near what that building started out as. The Richard West Houses that La Carnita is in to the immediate north were far more worthy of saving, so I'm glad they did. I'd like to see this proposal's entrance rebuilt in a way that makes it something special (staying modern) while also being more sympathetic to the heritage architecture to the north. Not sure how I'd do it, but I do know they haven't got that part right yet.

Glad to see another slim building. I wouldn't want to be the guy cutting the frames and glass for this one though.

IMG_5985.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5985.JPG
    IMG_5985.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 971

Back