Toronto The RIV | 113m | 34s | Broccolini | Arcadis

I used to live in this neighbourhood and i can tell you right now many people welcome this change!!! This proposal is in line with changes for the neighbourhood - it's downtown, along a busy street, theres high density development all around - it's ridiculous for the city to think this is not an opportunity for a great development! If anyone has toured these houses they would agree......! If you also look at whats already approved most of the left over houses will be in shade for the day - theres towers all around. The relief line was approved this week too - thats less than 400m away from this site! I was also at most of the community consultatations - and i will say that most of the neighbourhood wanted higher density but city planning for some reason made it appear that the secondary plan was approved through collective consensus - it wasnt - everyone wanted change here! This is going to be great and tied in with Regent Park it's going to be a pretty awesome place to be! Awesome design by the way!

Interesting... I'm for development here. The Regent Park buildings that line this stretch of River are mostly TCH or co-ops so any market buildings proposed here would be a great addition. Shame IBI group has been hired though.

However, I suspect that this particular development doesn't stand a chance based on the Queen River Secondary Plan. I believe this particular block is designated as "neighbourhood" (which is ridiculous).

View attachment 109084
i agree - this area designated as ridiculous is true!!!

very attractive design!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:
In mid-May, a rezoning and Official Plan amendment application were submitted to the City of Toronto for the construction of a 38-storey condominium with a 7-storey podium at the northeast corner of River St and Labatt Avenue. Developed by Broccolini, the IBI Group-designed tower, currently known for its address at 83 River Street, would replace four 2-storey semi-detached dwellings at 83 through 97 River Street, and a single building sitting on a double lot at 2-4 Labatt Avenue.

So the only thing left in this area is the block to the north backing onto Mercedes. Those houses can't be staying much longer

It's a shame that that area basically dead ends from a street grid perspective with Shuter terminating and Labatt offset and dead ended. Between the rail corridor, the hydro transmission and the structures, Bayview Extension South is like a narrow private road built as if solely to benefit Audi.

It's a shame that that area basically dead ends from a street grid perspective with Shuter terminating and Labatt offset and dead ended. Between the rail corridor, the hydro transmission and the structures, Bayview Extension South is like a narrow private road built as if solely to benefit Audi.

Kind of, although Bayview Extension South does connect to the West Don Lands.

I think dead ends like this one are actually pretty ultimate for a neighbourhood. Whether it's valleys cutting off an area (or parks, or rail lines), the biggest bonus is that you don't get through-traffic tearing along the streets. Makes the pedestrian experience and general livability more pleasant. River St will probably become a traffic headache though.

I think dead ends like this one are actually pretty ultimate for a neighbourhood. Whether it's valleys cutting off an area (or parks, or rail lines), the biggest bonus is that you don't get through-traffic tearing along the streets. Makes the pedestrian experience and general livability more pleasant. River St will probably become a traffic headache though.
Further north River already is, based on what I see when crossing at Gerrard on the odd day I drive to work downtown.

Further north River already is, based on what I see when crossing at Gerrard on the odd day I drive to work downtown.

Definitely is. But just wait til Regent Park is done, and we have a few 40s towers along River. Right now it seems a bit of an adjustment period as commuters choose between the fairly new Bayview or the brand new River St (e.g redesigned Dundas intersection, curbisde bike lane w/ outside street parking...which some clearly haven't gotten used to yet).

Wonder if some of the developments can have connected sub-level parking garages that exit onto Bayview, similar to how Manulife has along Rosedale Valley. Probably a no-no considering the flooding, but it could dilute some of the traffic generated by new development.

I think even with political will the TRCA would make it almost impossible to gain access to Bayview; though, if you're an Audi owner, the dealership lets you drive through their lot and use their grandfathered Bayview entrance to get to Labatt (and vice versa).

Back