Toronto The Ivy | 110.33m | 34s | Tricon | Graziani + Corazza

^ Is it still 29 storeys and do the townhomes face Gloucester St. or the laneway?

Hopefully the townhomes do not face the street as we'll lose that little bit of commercial life/vibe that the fly, east side and pizza joint bring...(not that their replacement means 'any' retail, but townhomes will gaurantee a residential function 'only')...

...if they face the park, then some of the parking in the laneway will be eliminated...

Given the choices (i.e. lose vibe or lose parking spots), I'm hoping the townhouses face the laneway...

...it'd be nice if they could somehow keep the retail that's already there, but I realize how unlikely that is. I guess aunty across the street at the jamacian diner will be happy with the potential increase to her customer base... :)

I'm The're replacing Fly, Fire on the East Side and Olympic Pizza for townhouses? What a shame. Those are the kinds of businesses that make the area attractive and interesting in the first place.

I'm The're replacing Fly, Fire on the East Side and Olympic Pizza for townhouses? What a shame. Those are the kinds of businesses that make the area attractive and interesting in the first place.

I think the city website said that there was some non residential component....so maybe olymic pizza will remain as retail and not be townhomes? i agree with urbanfervour and danielinthecity, keeping some retail here would be better than houses....especially if they end up rebuildiong the houses on the street as was suggested earlier.

Olympic buildings will remain (heritage buildings) and will continue to be retail but will be brought right to the property line, the space where fire on the east side is will be torn down and it will be sort of a relief and reveal effect with a glass entrance set back from the two heritage properties. the tower is a fairly standard glass tower and steps back towards the top, architects are Pontarini and ERA

Olympic buildings will remain (heritage buildings) and will continue to be retail but will be brought right to the property line, the space where fire on the east side is will be torn down and it will be sort of a relief and reveal effect with a glass entrance set back from the two heritage properties. the tower is a fairly standard glass tower and steps back towards the top, architects are Pontarini and ERA

Pontarini will be a welcome relief to the usual clews stuff. Nice work TOfan....how did you manage to get the scoop??!

Relief and reveal?

ToFan...I 'think' I know what you mean by 'Relief and Reveal', but prefer not to assume...can you elaborate (a pic would be nice too... ;)).

I walked by the Fire, Pizza and Fly last night and the patios were packed...I REALLY hope they contribute something to our street that adds value in terms of breathing life into it...it'd be great if we got even MORE life here...

...I'm hoping the building across the street could be developed...the one with the old Coffee Time...now a new Shawarma place (like all the new Shawarma places that have taken over this part of Yonge in the last couple years!).

If not developed, this strech is primed for a long inviting patio! Right up to Diners Corner.

"Relief is a method of decoration such as moulding, carving, stamping, etc., in which the produced design stands out from a flat surface so as to have a natural and solid appearance. Depending upon how much the design stands out from its background, the design may be said to be in low or high relief. In architecture, a surface which has been decorated with a low relief decoration is said to be abated".

"A reveal is the side of an opening for a window, doorway, or the like, between the door frame or window frame and the outer surface of the wall; or, where the opening is not filled with a door, etc."

Didn't have my camera but the application sign has been posted on the Masonic Building advising of this project. It is indeed 29 storeys with I think 4 levels of underground parking.

Didn't have my camera but the application sign has been posted on the Masonic Building advising of this project. It is indeed 29 storeys with I think 4 levels of underground parking.

Nice! I will try to snap a pic of it tomorrow (then I'll try my best to figure out how to post it here....that's gonna be the fun part!!)

gloucmews.jpg

Interesting -- while the building is no beauty, one certainly can't accuse it of facadism -- it does a great job of preserving the Yonge St. building.

About as good as can be expected. The tower isn't something that will wow you as you go by, but they did a really nice job placing it. Is that a reflection of Five St. Joseph in the glass?

Back