Toronto Eight Cumberland | 170m | 51s | Great Gulf | a—A

The revision to 8 Cumberland has just appeared before the Design Review Panel. Generally, they are happy with the redesign. They'd like to see the two-storey masonry blocks on Cumberland disappear as they feel the "butterfly" support structures should be the architectural gesture at ground level.

The proposal is now quite a bit shorter, lopping off 10 storeys, now at 54 storeys.

The panel voted to support the proposal with some conditions which will be spelled out in the minutes to come.

The revision to 8 Cumberland has just appeared before the Design Review Panel. Generally, they are happy with the redesign. They'd like to see the two-storey masonry blocks on Cumberland disappear as they feel the "butterfly" support structures should be the architectural gesture at ground level.

The proposal is now quite a bit shorter, lopping off 10 storeys, now at 54 storeys.

The panel voted to support the proposal with some conditions which will be spelled out in the minutes to come.

was it 64 storeys before? the title thread only lists metres not the number of storyes. for some reason, I thought the original proposal here was for much higher than 64s....

Yeah, too bad. 64 storeys of faux crystaline boxiness would have been really something compared to a yet unrevealed 54 storey tower. Don't you get bored?

yes please... re-design the whole thing. The top is interesting. and the glass its self. more detailed concave or convex features like the pattern.

A new rendering has been revealed in a front page article today. About a month ago there was another rendering posted by interchange42, on page 9. The new base is more interesting, but for the most part I don't think the tower is particularly exciting compared to some of the other recent proposals in Yorkville and Yonge & Bloor.

19058-64281.jpg

Attachments

• 19058-64281.jpg
    19058-64281.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 7,681
I liked it better before. Might have looked very late 80's early 90's but I liked that, this one just looks like an even uglier version of that tower proposed on Michigan ave in Chicago.

The new base is more interesting, but for the most part I don't think the tower is particularly exciting compared to some of the other recent proposals in Yorkville and Yonge & Bloor.

The two other recent proposals (Bay + Scollard and 100 Davenport) are going to be very high-end buildings. This isn't, so while the shape isn't exactly inspiring, the butterfly supports at ground level and three fifths of the way up the building are a win for both the ground realm and the skyline.

I liked it better before. Might have looked very late 80's early 90's but I liked that, this one just looks like an even uglier version of that tower proposed on Michigan ave in Chicago.

I agree, also shorter from "The Chop" and now looks like the other shite going up in town....Yuck:(

In 2-3 years when this thing is rising and everyone is bitching, remember this
The original proposal

The proposal is now quite a bit shorter, lopping off 10 storeys, now at 54 storeys.42

Yeah, it's a shame they didn't keep the sleek look of the first proposal. I like the butterfly support but I wish they'd kept the pattern of vertical elements on the face of the building. I also liked the top of the original plan much more.

Back