Toronto Adagio | 85m | 26s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

When the DRL is no longer sufficient, we can build another north/south line to intercept riders rather than building another Yonge line. Again, I'd prefer we have subways that provide access to more people rather than just putting more transit on Yonge.

What if most people are on Yonge? Not countering your point or anything, I agree that spreading out the transit would be nice and would probably kick-start intensification in places where there will be more than enough space to do so but it does seem that Yonge is, and will continue to be, very dense and intensified even outside of downtown. We can't deny that there are three Growth Centres (Y/E, NYCC, RH Centre-Langstaff Gateway) that are lined up along Yonge that will inevitably add to the Yonge line ridership, two of which are already rather built up.

I've just moved back to TO after 3.5 years in NYC, and the express trains there are actually now beloved by many—folks walk long distances above-ground past local stops to get on an express. For one thing, it allows some people who live in less expensive neighbourhoods reasonable-length commutes to their places of business in central Manhattan.
GO RER would also allow people who live in less expensive neighbourhoods reasonable-length commutes to their places of business in downtown Toronto, at a much cheaper capital cost. We just need to figure out how to integrate fares with the TTC.

What if most people are on Yonge? Not countering your point or anything, I agree that spreading out the transit would be nice and would probably kick-start intensification in places where there will be more than enough space to do so but it does seem that Yonge is, and will continue to be, very dense and intensified even outside of downtown. We can't deny that there are three Growth Centres (Y/E, NYCC, RH Centre-Langstaff Gateway) that are lined up along Yonge that will inevitably add to the Yonge line ridership, two of which are already rather built up.
Most of the ridership on the Yonge line isn't from people living on Yonge though. Most of the ridership comes from feeder bus routes. If those feeder bus routes are intercepted earlier by another subway line, Yonge will have enough capacity for the people who do live on Yonge.

When the DRL is no longer sufficient, we can build another north/south line to intercept riders rather than building another Yonge line. Again, I'd prefer we have subways that provide access to more people rather than just putting more transit on Yonge.

Yah, the problem is that the ridership is on Yonge itself. There might be some minor things we could do (I advocate for a BRT-lite on Mt. Pleasant-Jarvis. I think this could take a thousand or so peak hour riders off of Yonge), but only so much.

Where would you put the another north/south line to intercept riders? Don Mills is pretty close to Yonge, and University-Spadina already serves this purpose on the west. (Note however, the University line will need it's own relief soon too!!!)

Personally, I would bring up the Relief Line past Sheppard and towards an interchange with Yonge Subway at RHC via the Finch Hydro Corridor and the RH-GO corridor. This way, the Relief Line intercepts Yonge subway riders in York Region. (Transit Fantasy thread post here)

I am tempted to say that the Metrolinx study of a Relief Line going all the way up to Sheppard determined that 40 percent of the bus riders who transfer on to the Yonge Line would be diverted to the Relief Line, meaning a Relief Life would take significant pressure off Yonge… so tempted that I did say it, but this conversation has become too off-topic and should not continue in this thread. There are transit threads including the fantasy one that you linked to above in the Transportation and Infrastructure Forum that are appropriate for this discussion. Any more off-topic posts about transit in this thread will be deleted.

So they're ignoring the policy encouraging a PATH connection to the Reference Library across the site?
(not even future provision if the former bookstore building next door is redeveloped?)

blbdfrr.png

http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/City Planning/Community Planning/Files/pdf/P/Planning Rationale_771 Yonge Street.pdf

Back