Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

At the risk of spamming, I'm going to repeat my comments about the design from the comment space attached to the front page story. If you've read the story or are familiar with the design, you'll understand what I'm going on about below:

Although I find the design generally aesthetically pleasing and handsome, I don't understand a number of elements, mostly related to massing.

Why would the outdoor amenity be at the second level at the southwest corner? As it will be up against both the Novotel and 55 the Esplanade, it will be forever in shade and will face both blank walls and the open sides of a parking garage. It's a potentially horrible area. It should be at the height of the top of the parking garage at 55 The Esplanade where it will have a chance at sunlight.

By lifting up the outdoor amenity, the developers will be able to build above ground parking below it (hidden from the street) which would mean they would not have to go as deep into the ground, likely only requiring one underground level instead of three. That would be cheaper for them, and more parking is what should face the existing parking garage anyway.

On the north side, while the City has a policy of not allowing arcades anymore, I would rather see the west end of the podium reach out to meet the blank east wall of the Novotel. Why should that remain exposed? Ugh. Surely a portion of the podium can be extruded out over the sidewalk there, and have some windows face east, not just the bank wall of the hotel.

Finally, and this is the least of my concerns but something I have been hoping for, I wish the corner at Church and The Esplanade might be allowed a small public square, pulling the new building a bit further away from it. We have too few nooks in Toronto's urban fabric which people can claim as their own, and this corner would be a shame to lose totally as well.​

Good Friday news: it's aAnother rps!
3zkyAkP.jpg

And it's got a nice red brick podium
BLkWBej.jpg

vDxE2rT.jpg

Beautiful. Simple and rigorous. Makes one wonder why more projects can't be this straightforward (here's looking at you The Arc in Mississauga)...

Nice podium with red brick columns and black trim for the windows. It would of looked even better if they carried that theme right to the top of the building to blend in with this prestige area.

Back