Toronto 708 Kennedy | 135.45m | 42s | Brosko Property Management | Kirkor

Cityplace has been under construction for 25 years and with a lot less competition. There's a million units proposed. Most of these transit oriented communities won't be completed as who wants to live in a dense, master planned subdivision of residential skyscrapers in the middle of nondescript suburbia.

Anyone whose under-housed? Be they homeless, or be they a family of 5 sharing a 1 bedroom?

Anyone who desperately wants to get on the ladder of housing ownership, but absolutely can't afford an SFH?

Anyone who actually works in the suburbs?

5 people sharing a one bedroom now won't be able to afford brand new reinforced concrete skyscraper units.

5 people sharing a one bedroom now won't be able to afford brand new reinforced concrete skyscraper units.

I know for certain you are not correct in many cases.

Many families live in such circumstances precisely so that they can save to purchase a home.

The question of "who would want to live here or there" keeps cropping up. But it always misses the point because this city has long since moved beyond what anyone "wants." There's so much excess housing demand that you'll take what you can get.

March 30 - All the drone shots seem to have that conceptual West Scarborough Railpath in them. :)

DJI_0031.jpeg

DJI_0028.jpeg

DJI_0049.jpeg

DJI_0053.jpeg

DJI_0032.jpeg

Oops! 😉
DJI_0038.jpeg

It's about cost in Toronto than supply. There's nearly 100,000 units under construction and there's no shortage of units listed for rent. I could rent a dozen units in the next hour. The investment and development community is a luxury shared by few Canadian centres with excess demand and no actual supply to rent.

Brand new, concrete towers are going to be priced at a premium and developers will stop building new inventory if that premium price are not met. This node becoming the focus for new construction over other Crosstown, Finch LRT, Ontario Line, Vaughan and Richmond Hill extensions will not address costs.

There's a million units proposed in dozens of transit centred communities with an excess of 10,000 units in most of them. Towers will be built. It is not realistic that of these will be built out in as little as 25 years.

Take what you can get is not a great concept in attracting new people to Toronto. It won't have a positive affect on immigration.

Cityplace has been under construction for 25 years and with a lot less competition. There's a million units proposed. Most of these transit oriented communities won't be completed as who wants to live in a dense, master planned subdivision of residential skyscrapers in the middle of nondescript suburbia.
Respectfully, I hold the opinion that these areas will be animated by the increase in density. Attracting business, art and culture and animating the neighborhoods. Intermingled with all the transit (e.g., GO RER via lakeshore, Line 5 and closely linked Line 2) -- it all stands to add a new node of centralized activity in as you describe it, nondescript suburbia.

Was having this conversation with my aging parents, downsizing and moving closer to us in SW Scarborough, close to these nodes or within them to have easier access to amenities, close to us for care to age in place and live within an active community.

My 2 cents.

My aunt and mother both had condos at the building in Guildwood and it was hard to get in with the demand! Close to stores and old doctors without expense/headache of a house/lawn/garden. Plus there was a great community there as everyone was from the area and had similar life journeys. The one downside is that there aren’t a lot of nicer restaurants so you go to the local one a lot! But that is changing as more of these buildings go up. Finally these buildings have great amenities that are useful for residents and their guests.

Take what you can get is not a great concept in attracting new people to Toronto. It won't have a positive affect on immigration.
That's not at all what I meant. I am describing the crappy reality in this city and increasingly the whole country because of wildly irresponsible monetary and population growth policies.

The problem is too much growth, both population and money supply, chasing not enough goods (housing). And supply will never catch up because our oligarchs benefit from exactly the existing situation.

Of course this isn't conducive to attracting and retaining the brightest and best. But that's never been this country's business model unfortunately. People are seen as cattle to be milked for every penny. Human resources indeed.

Back