Toronto 7 St Thomas | 38.71m | 9s | St. Thomas | Hariri Pontarini

View from the 3rd floor of the McKinsey building (110 Charles St W) as of today (Monday July 18), before the view is blocked by The St. Thomas which is also ascending (and is the reason the window is so dirty in the picture!)

u7Fp0cc.jpg

Far out, man. This building is drop dead gorgeous. HP is doing so much positive work in the city, it's become clear that they outclass every other local firm except Teeple. The drones at aA, DSA KPMB et all should weep every time they see this and some of HP's other masterpieces.

I challenge you to find a flaw.

If I had two it would be not tall enough and not in a prominent enough spot to truly appreciate.

Beautiful, and I like that it actually is a hidden gem. Would love to see more buildings like this and the Norwegian building down by Dundas and Yonge.

I think the first isn't a flaw, and the second isn't a flaw in the relevant sense. I think the height is just right because I find it really well proportioned to the area, and I think its stoutness makes the curves look more dramatic. Obviously this contention might reduce to mere opinion. As for the second though, I'm not sure that's a flaw in the relevant sense because, though I suppose this could have been built anywhere, it was built here and I don't think that counts as a design flaw per se.

Especially when you take into consideration the complexities surrounding choosing a location, if this building were built elsewhere we can count on it being designed differently, either because of finances or zoning. In fact, in this pocket of 'lower' Yorkville, developers needn't shoot for height because they can be sure there'll be a market for units that cost more per square foot due to there being fewer of them. I think that adds to the prestige of the area, and is part of its draw. Part of what makes this building attractive to me, in other words, is that it's exclusive (e.g. not tall).

The Sultan/St. Thomas corner is going to be very charming once construction is done. My only complaint about 7 St. T is that there won't be more retail on ground level (including potential patio) - the nearby residents complained and city nixed it.

The Sultan/St. Thomas corner is going to be very charming once construction is done. My only complaint about 7 St. T is that there won't be more retail on ground level (including potential patio) - the nearby residents complained and city nixed it.

Are you sure that's the reason? Nearby residents don't have the last call on these things, and it's just 1 block from Bloor so the city would wisely ignore them. More likely traditional retail would struggle.

Are you sure that's the reason? Nearby residents don't have the last call on these things, and it's just 1 block from Bloor so the city would wisely ignore them. More likely traditional retail would struggle.

Read page 9 of the final report.

There needs to be more retail and restaurants on the side streets, too many of them are too dead and quiet. Nothing happening there.

Back