Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

Yeah, lotsa good times happened in that joint
03.gif

Again with Vaughan's grand plan....

Is there actually any real demand for 3 bedroom condos? I have to assume that if you afford a 3 bedroom unit, especially downtown, then you could probably afford a house and go with that instead. I'm just not hearing anywhere about pent up demand from people wanting to raise kids in condos over houses.

Certainly not from people I work with and know.

I don't think developers should be forced to provide this kind of inventory and run the financial risk if it doesn't move on the market. If people wanted these types of units, I would have imagined that some developer would have caught on by now and realized that there was a larger market out there waiting.

We needed a 3bed/3bath situation, and the only way to do that at Success Tower was to purchase on the upper floors. It was very very expensive, so we bought a 1bed/1bath unit beside a 2bed/2bath unit and took a wall down in between the units. I don't know why builders don't provide this option for buyers, it would satisfy the city, provide possible 3 bed units and still allow the builder the advantage of selling all the units in his building whether they be 1 or 2 bed units or combination 3 bed unit

Is there actually any real demand for 3 bedroom condos? I have to assume that if you afford a 3 bedroom unit, especially downtown, then you could probably afford a house and go with that instead. I'm just not hearing anywhere about pent up demand from people wanting to raise kids in condos over houses.

Certainly not from people I work with and know.

I don't think developers should be forced to provide this kind of inventory and run the financial risk if it doesn't move on the market. If people wanted these types of units, I would have imagined that some developer would have caught on by now and realized that there was a larger market out there waiting.

People may not need 3 bedroom units now, but why preclude the possibility of families ever living here in the future? This is prudent long-term planning. A neighbourhood full of bachelors and 1br apartments isn't sustainable over 20-30 years for obvious reasons. A required proportion of family-sized units clearly presents a risk for developers, because they're harder to sell in the short term, but developers don't care if the neighbourhood becomes a ghost town 20 years down the road.

It's hilarious that politicians are criticized for not looking at the bigger picture only to turn around and oppose good solutions to a problem that will occur beyond their term in office.

Yeah, it's absurd to expect families to live downtown.

Many new families prefer suburbs, but millions of families happily live in downtowns throughout the western world. I suppose you were being sarcastic.

:confused:

All of freeds buildings are boring from what I've seen so far. I even lived in one from 2001 to 2003. They all look and feel the same. Glass mid-rise boxes.

nevermind, it was built by urbancorp. 954 king west, although it looks like a freed development, similar to 66 portland

All of freeds buildings are boring from what I've seen so far. I even lived in one from 2001 to 2003. They all look and feel the same. Glass mid-rise boxes.

Boring? No. Similar? Yes - particularly the ones done by Core. I'm glad that 550 Wellington and now 621 King show a move away from this one architectural firm.

As for the per square-foot cost, I'm guessing that Freed is aiming this building at a market a little higher than 550 Wellington, but it's probably not quite in the same market as the 500 Wellington buyers are.

I note in this massing diagram for the King St W area that neither "Lofts 399" by Cresford at 399 Adelaide St W (formerly the ill-fated Mode Lofts) nor the proposed rental "Adelaide Residences" by the ill-fated Boymelgreen at 525 Adelaide St W make an appearance. Should we read anything into this?

What's also a little odd about the diagram is the inclusion of 455 Adelaide. That building has been finished and occupied for well over a year - if not more.

Back