Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

@Miscreant Here's what the ground level looks like:

26835962274_f5779bee76_h.jpg

The rooftop pool and amenity spaces were originally supposed to be additional event spaces for the Thompson Hotel, but now that Freed has brought on another operator to run the rooftop as a restaurant and pool lounge they probably want to be more autonomous from the Thompson and stand out as their own brand. Lavelle, the rooftop restaurant and lounge, just opened recently so the timing seems to be in line with this change.

The change is better to avoid confusion between the two buildings, plus there's no hotel component in this building to justify the Thompson moniker.

Here's a recent article on Lavelle:
http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/lavelle-toronto

That's a sexy pool with sexy people. So in this case, one has to look like the original render people to enjoy the views.

Yup, it's now 629 King Residences. Anyone know why the branding change so late in the game?

My understanding is that Freed Developments only ever licensed the branding (use of the Thompson name, typefont) for marketing purposes, and that the term of the license was to last through unit registration - at which point the first order of business for the newly registered condominium corporation would be to come up with a new name. As far as I know, it has not registered yet, so there may have also been a time limited sunset on the use of the branding.

It's sort of like a marketing bait and switch.
From the start I didn't quite understand how this building could be called the Thompson when there is no hotel programming inside, other than the occasional bookings of the rooftop pool for private events, which purchasers were warned about.

I much prefer a condo simply named after the address rather than branded with some silly or pretentious name.

I'd be pissed if I bought and paid a premium for the Thompson Brand and the promise that the Thompson Hotel Group would be running the amenities. Part of the pitch was you could get hotel-style room-service in your condo. Wonder if that is still a thing.
On a separate note..it is a shame Freed didn't control and offer the window coverings. Would be another revenue source (which everyone knows he loves!) and would have really helped the S+P design. The make-shift blinds and drapes really distract from the great undulating box architectural statement. Also looks like S+P lost the Zinc battle on the exterior metal panel. The thin gauge aluminum panel is already oil-canning. Shame.

Starbucks is moving into one of the eastern retail units according to a notice on the door.

Came across a couple lady "barkers" at Portland and King - to entice people up to the Lavalle rooftop bar.

1) The name/branding bait and switch is really bad form. Not cool for purchasers that paid a premium for the Thompson Hotel services promised
2) The 12 storey original application was much better. S+P would agree
3) The 15 Storey building we got is a direct result of a cock-fight b/w Peter Freed and Adam Vaughan. Both lost in my opinion.
4) The metal paneling looks too thin and oil canning is already happening. Shame. S+P probably spec'd Zinc only to be value engineered to thin gauge metal
5) How did Freed not think to spec all the blinds/curtains and mandate the rules in the Condo Docs to ensure consistency. This design needed that. Even more than Fashion House IMO.

Back