Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

This would be another added bonus for an area that is booming. King west from John st to Bathurst is evolving into a very popular street !

The massing implies one building which I find unfortunate. There doesn't appear to be a N/S pedestrian mew which would help in breaking up the long city block.

i think it might be premature to write off a n/s pedestrian connection. There most likely be one here similar to 550 Wellington, where a pedestrian corridor goes through the building that is open to the public. Freed works with the planning dept., Adam Vaughan's office and Wellington Place Neighbourhood Association during the planning stages for his developments. Those three groups, especially the latter two, will ensure that there are mid-block pedestrian connections as part of all the developmetns in the area.

i think it might be premature to write off a n/s pedestrian connection. There most likely be one here similar to 550 Wellington, where a pedestrian corridor goes through the building that is open to the public. Freed works with the planning dept., Adam Vaughan's office and Wellington Place Neighbourhood Association during the planning stages for his developments. Those three groups, especially the latter two, will ensure that there are mid-block pedestrian connections as part of all the developmetns in the area.

You have a great point here and WPNA and Adam Vaughan should listen closely. There absolutely should be a n/s pedestrian path as it would continue through 550 Wellington, through the park and then through the Context building at Front & Bathurst. Context has already included such a diagonal connection running from the north end of their building to the n/e corner of Front & Bathurst in the preliminary designs they have shown to us at public meetings.

S'Bus, we should be thanking AV and WPNA for all these mid-block connections in the area. They get involved in the planning process at the very early stages. How many proposals in the area have gone to the OMB? The community, planning dept. and developers work through the process together in this area, thanks in large part to Adam Vaughan. You can be sure all of their hands will be on proposals on the Globe and Mail site. In the 400 Wellington thread (I think) a plan for Wellington was posted, and you can see all the connections through G&M. Between Spadina and Bathurst, there will be multiple ways to get between Front and King for pedestrians.Sadly though, there will only be one way south of Front to Fort York Blvd/Canoe Landing/waterfront, whenever the hell that happens.

Sadly though, there will only be one way south of Front to Fort York Blvd/Canoe Landing/waterfront, whenever the hell that happens.

Because it envolves the railway corridor and any plans always goes nowhere, look whats happening to the new King West, Liberty Village and Queen West neighbourhoods, they have managed to alienate one from another.:mad:

Each location will have its own set of unique challenges to address to get these bridges built. They can all be solved with cooperation and negotiations between all the parties invovled, and the more money willling to be spent the easier it is. The Fort York pedestrian bridge looks to be moving forward.

My comment was to address the fact that there were originally two crossings planned between Spadina and Bathurst, one for pedestrians/cyclists and the other that would have vehicular traffic as well. The latter was scrapped, and the current status of the former is a mystery to me right now.

More than a year ago, I spoke with someone at Private Service Realty who told me this will be a "high end" building - over and above 550 Wellington. The boutique hotel is also supposed to be higher end as well.

It'll be nice to see an architect other than Core. Not that I dislike their work, but there are too many examples of it already in a rather confined area.

No thirty floor building there.

I'll bet that the building will be in the 44 to 46 metre range. That's the precedent for the area.

I was walking along King today and I didn't notice any buildings above 4-5 storeys. If Freed is building something higher, how can this pass OMB regs? I'm not doubting it can and may happen, but on what basis can they allow a building to stand twice as high as the rest of the street's line height?
I can understand if it were at the corner like 650 King. Even Fashionhouse is quite high vs the rest of the street but at least it's only 8 storeys where it faces King.
Maybe 621 will be the lower along King and higher on the Stewart side?

This is the future of Freedville. Notice how the Core version of 621 King is massive. It is showing it at T/O Mechanical Roof: 44.4m, T/O Roof: 38.4m.

Now, this building is not at the intersection, so it can not get these heights. Impossible. The massing on King St. itself is also a joke.

621kingstw2.jpg

Back