Toronto 609 Avenue Road | 66.44m | 19s | State Building Group | Richmond Architects

from the Star:

Luxurious project reflects prestigious neighbourhood

Refinement and understated elegance planned for 16-storey building in Forest Hill
October 18, 2008

Tracy Hanes
TORONTO STAR

A new condominium in Toronto's Forest Hill will emulate the prestige of its exclusive neighbourhood.

Berkley Development's 16-storey Wentworth, at Avenue Rd. and Lonsdale Rd., will offer just 53 suites, ranging from 1,600 square feet to 6,000 square feet in size and priced from $1.4 million to $8 million.

It will occupy a site that formerly accommodated an old six-storey co-operative building and is next door to the Lonsdale, a high-end condo conversion.

It's the adage of "location, location, location," says Patrick Iaboni of Berkley Developments. "It's such a sought-after spot and the whole area is built up, so there are few opportunities for development. The building will be ultra luxurious. Once you have this type of location, you don't go halfway."

With that in mind, Berkley hired Kirkor Architects and Planners and interior designer Brian Gluckstein of Gluckstein Design to bring the sense of refinement and understated elegance the project dictated.

"Every suite will have 10-foot ceilings, every suite will be a corner suite and every suite will have its own direct access elevator, which I don't know of any other project in Toronto offering," Iaboni says. "There will be heated floors in the ensuite bathrooms, which you find in high-end custom homes, but rarely in condos. The closets will come with built-in organizers and the foyers will have inlaid marble flooring."

Other features include crown moldings, coffered ceilings, gas fireplaces and large balconies or terraces.

Iaboni says although the city wanted a modern glass building on the site, "we dug our heels in, as we felt the community and future residents were not going to want that. They are going to want something that will be equally fashionable 50 years from now."

The classic, New York-style exterior will be of limestone and precast stone, with embossed metalwork, tinted windows and custom-cast balconies, with a bricked driveway, reflective fountain and glass faceted canopy.

As well as concierge and valet parking, amenities include a fitness room and swimming pool, with granite and quartz stonework inspired by European spas, views of the outdoor landscaped terrace and men's and women's change facilities and steam rooms. A caterer's kitchen and adjoining formal dining room with access to the terrace and guest suite round out the offered amenities.

Iaboni says a shift in the attitude towards condo living started about 10 years ago, when people stopped thinking of it as a second-rate choice to a detached home.

"There are lots of people who can afford a house but don't want to live in a house," he says. "Developers started identifying a market for people who want a truly luxurious condo. It's like Starbucks – for those who take coffee seriously, they don't mind paying a higher price."

Iaboni believes "the Toronto condo market still has a lot of legs" and that in tougher times, there tends to be a "flight to quality."

"A hundred years ago, Forest Hill was the most exclusive neighbourhood in Toronto and it still is," Iaboni says.

He anticipates most buyers will come from the immediate neighbourhood, though there has been interest from those "who always wanted to live in Forest Hill but couldn't afford a $5 million house."

The Wentworth will be set at the top of the Avenue Rd. hill with views of Upper Canada College, and will be steps to St. Clair Ave. to the south, and close to the restaurants and boutiques of Yorkville and Bloor St. Construction will start in spring 2009 with anticipated occupancy in 2011.

Previews begin today. Visit the Wentworth website to register.

011108 photo update

Driving down Avenue Rd this afternoon I snap the sales office (and site location?)

DSC00323.jpg

I am told that the Wentworth sales office closed shortly after opening with few sales, and the building is now being reworked for a March re-launch.

in this current market ... The Wentworth will need a lot of rework (in terms of $$) in order to make it successful (in selling)

Well, they paid for a beautiful, Gluckstein designed sales office, and it looks great.

Too bad the project is officially CANCELLED.

Add one to the list.

Good news indeed. Will Patrick Iaboni please admit he was wrong in the media?

I think either a rental building or a modern glass and brick middleclass condo building sort of like MOZO would do wonders here--why is the huge setback necessary on this part of Avenue Rd?

I drove by the site last weekend and saw Wentworth a-frames pointing to the sales office - contrary to popular thought - they may not in fact be closed.

the huge setback is legislated/required by the City of Toronto Official Plan as Avenue Road is designated as a ceremonial route intended to presever the view/vista to the Upper Canada College clock tower

The developer is putting this site up for sale.

Interchange - do you have anything to support that news?? I wonder if they will sell me furnishings from their model suite at a discount!

I was told that by a subcontractor to developers. I am sorry but I cannot reveal any more than that.

Back