Toronto Kingsway Village Square | 31.7m | 8s | Dunpar Homes | Richard Wengle

They changed the architecture for the better. It's a fairly average contemporary design that's neither bland nor spectacular. The mix of glass and brick is decent, though the exposed balconies detract from its understated elegance.

Has this project failed yet again??? The sales centre is closed and all the renders and logo have been removed from the hoarding. This site must be cursed or something, since this is the third rebranding already that doesn't seem to have worked. Either that or construction is imminent?

Has this project failed yet again??? The sales centre is closed and all the renders and logo have been removed from the hoarding. This site must be cursed or something, since this is the third rebranding already that doesn't seem to have worked. Either that or construction is imminent?

The Epicurean is a dumb branding/concept to begin with.
I'd wished developers spent more effort in the building design rather than some kitschy irrelevant marketing theme.

I'd rather pay a little more for a quality building without a silly name/brand attached to it.

The Epicurean is a dumb branding/concept to begin with.
I'd wished developers spent more effort in the building design rather than some kitschy irrelevant marketing theme.

I'd rather pay a little more for a quality building without a silly name/brand attached to it.

It happens all the time in the city. The marketing copy describes the architecture as it should be rather than how it actually ends up. "A sleek iconic landmark" when it's just a sterile box covered in grey window wall and spandrel with a precast podium.

In regards to the branding here, the emphasis was on the high end kitchens in the suites, and the demonstration kitchen and dining room amenity space, so the name was not just picked out of thin air.

Anyway, the project didn't work for whatever reason(s), so that's that.

High end kitchens that weren't anything special and a name that many could't pronounce correctly let alone define. Terrible marketing campaign.

Exactly.
The kitchens are tiny and designed just like any other kitchen you see in new condos out there. The appliances are small and not well chosen for those who like to cook -- at least offer gas cooking inside and out.
Ok, there is a demonstration kitchen, but open kitchens with a dining room are a rather commonplace amenity these days.
This development lacks style and lacks substance.
In general it was a very weak marketing concept and maybe it's a good thing it didn't survive.

Well hopefully we'll see a more modern re-design, though given the whiff-of-faux crap that's being built in the area, I'm not too confident. That lousy Tridel building just across the street was launched much later than this and is virtually complete already. Not a good sign.

This is still alive. Documents were posted on the Dev App site back in March which indicate that Dunpar Homes have taken over the project.

They did, yes.

Seems they're not revising Monarch & G+C's garbage design either. Let's hope this iteration meets the same ignominious end...

Last edited:
Honest question, I see people complaining about bad architecture all the time here. To much fake stone, too much glass, too blue, too green etc.

What constitutes good architecture? I know this is subjective but I'm curious about people's opinion. What is it about a building like this that makes it tacky? Is it because it's trying to replicate a style from a previous era? Or is it something else?

I personally don't care about the specifics as long as the details are done well but people seem to have very strong opinions.

Back