Toronto The Taylor | 121m | 36s | Tricon | Diamond Schmitt

The red cladding/crown and the height other than ~45 storeys should really help this one stand out against its neighbours. Looks good but a shame the ground level is so predictably bland.

Revised rendering from the latest drawings on the City site

image.png

Height has been slightly reduced to 119.7m, bumping it out of the top 300 of The 100m List.
…except that there's a parapet wall around the roof which appears on the drawings to add 1.25 more metres, so I have updated the database file to 121 m or 397 feet for now, pending further updates.

It's early days and all that. But the loss of colour is a real shame. And the precast portion looks more like a flimsy balcony motif than a foundation of the building. Go grid or go home, people! It doesn't look so cool or modern when strips of (mediocre) glazing occupy spaces where the eye expects a more solid geometry *cough* WCH *cough* Studio *cough* Picasso

It's early days and all that. But the loss of colour is a real shame.
But colour was added, not removed.

And the precast portion looks more like a flimsy balcony motif than a foundation of the building.
Documents show real brick, and three different colours at that.

But colour was added, not removed.

The most recent renderings showed red brick, no? Not the clearest rendering, maybe was just wishful thinking on my part.

Documents show real brick, and three different colours at that.

I'm a huge fan of big projects with "complete" masonry (e.g. the Selby) and am frustrated by projects that come close but leave jarring gaps of glazing. To my eye it makes the masonry looks pasted on (hence flimsy) and reminds me of the kinds of facadectomies that bug me for similar reasons. But hey, all personal taste.

Back