Toronto 55 Sheppard East | 45.41m | 14s

Community meeting on this development,...
Monday September 16, 2013
7pm to 9pm
North York Civic Centre 5100 Yonge Street
Council chambers

Basically, if developer wins,.... Forget about extending Doris south,.... Forget about ring road,... Service road,..... Say hello to even worst traffic gridlock in downtown North York City Centre,..

Hmmm, I wonder if developer greed (and the city's unquenchable tax thirst) will take precedence over improving infrastructure for the residents and people who have to travel through the area. I also wonder if water is wet.

I think you would be surprised what a negative recommendation from the planning department can do, especially if it explains the weight of issues with expanding the ring road which is very important to the area's residents.

I think you would be surprised what a negative recommendation from the planning department can do, especially if it explains the weight of issues with expanding the ring road which is very important to the area's residents.

As a resident, I certainly hope so. Maybe clearer-heads are starting to prevail after years of development free-for-all.

Wow,... if you missed this meeting,.... you missed a good soap-opera show!

City approved service ring road in 1998,.... but council did not buy the land required (back then when it was much cheaper!)
The owner 1085372 ONTARIO LTD (not necessarily developer Minto) have tried to sell the land to city at exorbitant prices,... so high, city council refused.
The owner 1085372 ONTARIO LTD (not necessarily developer Minto) is suing local Councillor John Filion (get in line!),.... so another councillor Joe Mihevc was presiding,...
Some in attendance seems more focused on Service Ring Road than this development in itself and lack of area infrastructure to accommodate growth

Last edited:
Wow,... if you missed this meeting,.... you missed a good soap-opera show!

City approved service ring road in 1998,.... but council did not buy the land required (back then when it was much cheaper!)
This developer (Minto) have tried to sell the land to city at exorbitant prices,... so high, city council refused.
This developer (Minto) is suing local Councillor John Filion (get in line!),.... so another councillor Joe Mihevc was presiding,...
Some in attendance seems more focused on Service Ring Road than this development in itself and lack of area infrastructure to accommodate growth

Thanks for the update. So it sounds like the city dropped the ball and is now scrambling to get back on track, but the developer is holding them "hostage" with an over-inflated asking price for the lands. I'm all for increasing density and development, but hopefully the infrastructure needs of the community will take priority. If the service road gets nixed, the city has only itself to blame.

Why doesn't the city just expropriate and be done with it?

There is a development application in place,.... and there is a process to follow,.... the city must act in good faith,....

I see the numbered company is registered to the Oulahen family realtors.

Are you saying the property owner (on these development applications) 1085372 ONTARIO LTD is really the Oulahen family realtors?

So where does Minto fit in?,... Minto is the condo-retail developer who is responsible for design, construction and execution,....

How do you verify that 1085372 ONTARIO LTD is really the Oulahen family realtors?

I guess that explains why there were a few of them at the meeting,... and they were sitting near the development consultant and traffic consultant.

Could this application just be an exercise to make the land worth more for when the City expropriates? That's what the landowners tried (somewhat unsuccessfully) down at the First Parliament site.

I believe they were successful. It was a land swap with the city/province/feds across the road and they are now building a data centre.

Last edited by a moderator:
They got a land swap, yes. What they did not get was the huge upzoning they were looking for. The result is that they are building a 4-storey data centre on the new parcel, and not a 57-storey condo.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm wondering if there's any update on this one? 49 Sheppard has changed over from a sales centre for 88 Sheppard to a sales centre for 55 Sheppard. We also got a notice for a drop-in meeting in March to discuss the ring-road/Doris extension. So if the extension is going ahead, and the 49 Sheppard building is now advertising 55 Sheppard, could this mean that the condo plan has moved to the East side of the new extended ring road (removing what would become the stump end of Bonnington north of Lyndale or something like that? Anyone have any info on the 55 Sheppard project?

Back